How to Build an 8 GPU Mining Rig (works for AMD & Nvidia)

@chw39 but you have 7of8, instead of my 4/8 - just want to understand how. And what are your current bios settings.

Did you made first setup in some specific order?

install windows (you can leave the m.2 cards risers not plugged in)
install AMD or Nvidia drivers, i use my mixed drivers or earlier drivers like 16.11.5 if its 400 series cards.
enable 4g in bios (you can also change m.2 to pcie and make sure primary display is PEG and change Gen lanes to 1 or 2, these steps should not be 100% necessary but they might help)
plug in rest of your GPU/risers
that should be it

if the m.2 pcie adapter is causing a problem, try to take it out and put it back inā€¦ lots of people have this problem and enough tinkering will get them to workā€¦ someone commented to me they they stuck it in lightly and not 100%, and that got theirs working, but iw oudl make sure its really plugged in, dont want to damage the board.

Primary display is set to pcie. I use only one riser one gpu which is the one on the x16_1 slot. Then only plug in card&riser one by one after installing os and completing driver installation.

@cryptomined Finally! everything is OK now for me. all 8 GPUs are running smooth. My problem was in drivers - only some ā€œdriver updaterā€ software have found PCIeX chipset drivers, and installed it. I couldnā€™t find it manually - not on ASUS site, nor at downloadcenter.intel

Hi

Did you figure this out? Iā€™m having the exact same problems. Please let me know if you find a solution, Iā€™ll be hugeeeely grateful. Got 7 Nvidia GPUs working but canā€™t get the 8th (in the m.2 slot).

is it a version 2 card?
did you plug in the power cable to the m.2?

version 2? Yes power plugged in. I think it must be faulty card. A lot of bad reviews on ebay from where i got them. Where did you get yours?

Hi, as @cryptomined already answered above

I just remove, replug the M2 & riser multiple times & it works :slight_smile:
hope that help

1 Like

Havenā€™t had any issues with using m.2 sata (have tested and made sure that the card on this doesnā€™t have any performance loss and it seems to check out). For some reason one of my cards will not power on properly when starting up EWBF though, it just runs at 60 sols with 29W not really doing anything until I turn the computer off, unplug the card and plug it back in haha. Once itā€™s going itā€™s good though.

I also did a build with 8 x Nvidia GPU, check the video description for hardware/software info: How to build an 8 x NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI Strix - zCash Mining rig - YouTube

how much memory(RAM) do you have on the motherboard?

4gb but that should have nothing to do with it?

:))) this is your issue, just put 8 GB and you will see, the issue will be fixed, in the worst case you have to reinstall the OS after adding the memory, or switch 2 card, the not working with the working one, in this way you will force the OS to relocate the PCI.

Without enough ram windows will fail to install the driver correct, for sure you get error 43 or not visible in OS.

Interesting. Iā€™ve build several 6 card rigs with only 4GB ram with no issues though. Do you really think this could be whatā€™s stopping the 8th card from showing up? I will try with another stick of 4GB ram and get back to you.

my 8x 1070 rig runs fine with 4gb ram

I tried adding the extra RAM and didnā€™t make any difference. Hey @cryptomined mind having a look at this? My hash rate is normally around 154mh/s but every few mins it drops to 80-100 for a few seconds. So strange. Any ideas why this could be? Spec: 7x gtx 1060 windforce 6gb on Asus z270a.

@cryptomined do you know if this is possible with a z170a chipset mobo like the one below?

I got 7 working on it no problem, but it wonā€™t recognize the M.2 card for the 8th. Canā€™t tell if its the chipset or the M.2 connector thatā€™s not working.

Also, do you know if the M.2 board trick is doable on Linux/Ethos? or does it require windows drivers?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING-3X.html#hero-overview

Thanks for your help!

sorry i dont know, i dont think it is, but again, im not sure

that is strange, i have never seen anything like that beforeā€¦ the only time i see my hashrates drop is when i use a vnc to view

Not that much doesnt it? - 3MH/s maximum at launch for me