Issue with All apps on MacOS using Intel chip

So, tried downloading both zecwallet light and fullnode. I use a 2015 iMac running OS Monterey. Both come up with their app screens but seem to freeze up (though not yet sure about fullnode version it may be downloading the node). On the lite version I hit the new wallet button and it just freezes, no response or progress indicator.

The fullnode version says “loading” but doesn’t give me a progress indicator been running for hours so I have no idea how it’s performing or it too is locked up.

Many apps have option to download either an intel or Mac chip version. Was a bit suspicious that your download page did not.

Any help would be appreciated

Hello and welcome!

Zecwallet lite is obsolete and the primary server it uses is down.
I don’t have any experience with Zecwallet full node, but I guess it’s obsolete too.

The most recommended desktop wallets right now are Zingo and YWallet.

1 Like

Gotta say, that really sucks, first that they are not supported but even more so that they are still promoted on the download page. So would you know if Zingo and YWallet support zCash “z” addresses for shielded transactions?

Where did you see this? The z.cash wallets page does not show either wallet, but it’s possible there is outdated information elsewhere.

1 Like

Saw it here on the download page Zecwallet Lite - Fully featured Zcash wallet if that is suppose to be orphaned you should nuke that on the web to avoid confusion. So, armed with the information that the lite version is orphaned I have focused my efforts on the full node version which is downloaded and runs kinda sorta but apparently catches an error, I ran Zecwallet Fullnode from inside the app container and then this came up: /Applications/Zecwallet\ Fullnode.app/Contents/MacOS/Zecwallet\ Fullnode ; exit;

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.

Michaels-iMac:~ MichaelGaddis$ /Applications/Zecwallet\ Fullnode.app/Contents/MacOS/Zecwallet\ Fullnode ; exit;

objc[41005]: Class WebSwapCGLLayer is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/libANGLE-shared.dylib (0x7ffb49513ec8) and /Applications/Zecwallet Fullnode.app/Contents/Frameworks/Electron Framework.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLESv2.dylib (0x109415ce0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

(node:41003) ProtocolDeprecateCallback: The callback argument of protocol module APIs is no longer needed.

(Use Zecwallet Fullnode --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)

Error occurred in handler for ‘readfile_IPC’: [Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘/Users/MichaelGaddis/Library/Application Support/Zcash/AddressBook.json’] {

errno: -2,

code: ‘ENOENT’,

syscall: ‘open’,

path: ‘/Users/MichaelGaddis/Library/Application Support/Zcash/AddressBook.json’

}

1 Like

That’s the download page for Zecwallet itself; there’s nothing we control about it. The Zecwallet author would need to make changes.

That is a common problem in community development projects but does impact overall credibility. I’d suggest sending him a note about that. Meanwhile, I used his download for the fullnode version but now think maybe that was a bad idea. What is the official download site for the full node version? GitHub? if so please direct me.

1 Like

Or would you suggest building it on my machine instead given the instructions on Github?

Your likely best bet is to build zcashd (the full node that Zecwallet used) yourself. The current best instructions for Intel macOS are here. Documentation is slowly being migrated to zcashd - The zcashd Book but it will be the same instructions (everything is built with zcutil/build.sh).

ZecWallet Fullnode is also not supported anymore. If you just need a wallet then you should use one of the currently maintained wallets (Ywallet, Zingo, Nighthawk, etc.). If you need a full wallet then your only option is zcashd command line.

I’d suggest not downloading a wallet before checking its legitimacy from the main project website. You never know when projects are abandoned. Domains takeovers are easy targets for scammers.

4 Likes

Yes, like mentioned zingo and Ywallet are currently the most supported lightwallets and you will have probably the best luck with those, recommended. If however, you do require a full node wallet then I would suggest zenith cli as an interface for zcash-cli, makes it nice n easy.
Zecwallet full node is not updated to the latest version of zcashd (or, really at all) and so that would need to be manually installed (on ubuntu) and then changing the version information in the zecwallet binary itself, to match. Similarly, with zecwallet light, it would require changing the server information that it calls to in the wallet code itself.

Being new to zCash but wanting to adopt it at a pretty big scale has proved to be a difficult task. The lack of clarity in the status of the various wallet products and inconsistent support in both the zCash dev community and the broader crypto market (probably related problems) paint a picture of a crypto currency facing a future crisis. Shielded addresses are a good idea but are only used rarely in the zCash block chain. That’s the glaring fact that says there is a problem. Truth is, if companies like Trezor and others won’t support receiving or managing shielded addresses then that is a threat to zCash’s viability in the long run.

I was recently diving deep into the rust code trying to understand the derivation of z addresses and I must say that the experience was enlightening⏤in a very negative way. You need to make z address derivation, which is a small part of overall elliptical curve algorithm, an easily accessible process with a npm library that allows the derivation of ‘n’ groups, ‘m’ addresses per group given a seed phrase as a one call operation. That would solve that problem. The Zecpaperwllet is useful but outputting a randomly generated PrivateKey and HDseed is not as useful as allowing someone to specify the Private key via a seed phrase (because that’s what most wallets use in their frontend mechanism for bringing in an existing private key). If yiu could specify a seed phase then the paper wallet could repeatedly create additional z addresses.

Also, you need to make a concerted effort to bring solid, hardware and non-custodial software wallet’s into your universe. Design the code to make it easy to traverse the tree and run zk-Snark. Without their support you won’t flourish.

So much promise, but for execution at many levels not so good.

1 Like

https://ywallet.app/advanced/