Mining 4 cores on a Jessie 16GB VPS for 24hrs / 0 balance?

Hey guys,

New to all this mining stuff but really happy to say that it was incredibly simple to install Zcash on a Deb Jessie VPS with 16GB RAM. Had everything up and running, mining with all 4 cores within minutes.

Question though…

It’s been mining solid for over 24hours now, plenty of Sols, but my balance is still 0.

{
"version" : 1000050,
"protocolversion" : 170002,
"walletversion" : 60000,
"balance" : 0.00000000,
"blocks" : 2240,
"timeoffset" : 0,
"connections" : 13,
"proxy" : "",
"difficulty" : 40394.82061049,
"testnet" : false,
"keypoololdest" : 1477865997,
"keypoolsize" : 101,
"paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
"relayfee" : 0.00005000,
"errors" : ""
}

Am I doing something wrong? Forgot to configure something? Expecting too much from a little old VPS?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers :wink:

Sounds like you are solo mining?
If so, just a VPS will never be strong enough to compete against the pools and CPU/GPU farms already mining. Not sure what your H/sec or Sol/sec are, but the pools and farms are over 10,000. I’m guessing you are getting under 10.

You’re best off joining a pool, but don’t expect too much

Cheers for the reply mrv777,

Yes, solo mining, just to try it out really. Never been able to figure out how to do it before, but the Zcash tut video was very simple and straightforward so I thought I’d give it a go.

So it’s pointless going solo on the vps then?

That’s a shame, I had read that the devs had purposefully designed zcash to be mineable by everybody and not just the big boys and pools. So a couple of days in and that’s history?

I’ve bought some cloud mining for Zcash from Genesis as my proper source, but I thought I could give this a go on my own too. Seems not though.

Thanks again bro :wink:

No problem.

Yea, they tried to make it so CPU mining was the best. However, GPU mining has already caught up for the most part. Also, there is no way to compete when people have access to GPU and CPU farms.
You can still try at a pool, you just may not make enough to even pay for the VPS.

Good luck!

I think that what he is trying to say is that you can mine with a VPS or your CPU but you have to mine in i a pool with other people…not alone…so you get a share,
I am not an expert though…:slight_smile:

Ok, fair enough.

Is it easy to mine in a pool? Can you recommend one please?

Yeah to be honest I was reading all this stuff about it being safeguarded against being dominated by the farms right out of the gate before launch, people saying “they won’t bother mining it until it’s profitable”, and then bang - all the big mining farms are offering zcash contracts. Kinda wiped the little guy out the second it launched.