Mining HW - beginner edition

Hi there,

I am new to mining (even though it’s pretty late unfortunately) and would like to start it. Would you mind helping me with choosing appropriate hardware? Can you recommend me some GPU that would suit this purpose the best? I have been looking at MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC but not sure if it is “good enough” or there are better choices for better money.

Thanks you.

Cheers,
nts

whatever is a good price these days.
TB250 is a nice mining board, but theres a lot of boards you can get that will work fine.

my recommendation is sure get the msi 1070 8g if its not an inflated price… get whatever is available as 1070 is very hard to get these days…

then get

TB250
G3900
4G DDR4
an m.2 SSD
some sata ver007 risers
power it with a G1300G2
and a nice cryptomined 6GPU frame to go with it all

ok im really going to sleep

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciate it. Is CPU G3900 enough for the GPU I have chosen? Will the GPU will use all its power with that CPU?

yes, it is enough, the CPU is not very important when GPU mining, get the cheapest you can
the G3900 is a 6th gen intel core CPU so you can run all versions of windows on it. If you get a 7th gen it can only run windows 10 and no previous versions, that is why i recommend G3900
Both will work on a 7th gen board… as the TB250 is a 7th gen board.

I don’t recommend Windows 10. Windows 10 has a lot of processes running in the background. Try to find a torrent Windows 7 and also download Windows loader to activate it. I left Windows 10 last weekend too many bugs. Just put Linux mint on my laptop so I can get familiar with it. This weekend I’ll be putting mint on my mining rig and silent army miner. I use minergate to mine xmr with my cpu while the gpus are mining zcash. I would like to find a motherboard that will hold 6 gpus and an amd 8 core cpu

just use a firewall and block it all… and sc delete the useless stuff through command prompt

remove cortana, edge, feedback, etc… there are scripts to do this
run something like beacon to block windows spying

remove onedrive

uninstall all the pre-packaged software

windows 7 you need to patch it to get 6 gpus to work…

windows 10 is better than windows 7, but you need to take about 10 minutes to clean out all the crap

uninstall useless crap programs:

**Instructions: Open Windows Power Shell as administrator (left click on start, go to "All Apps:, scroll through apps until you find Wiondows Powershell. Right click on Windows Powershell and select run as administrator). Enter in the commands below to remove such said services. Once removed you can not get them back, so if you dont want to delete calculator or photos for example, do not use those commands:

Uninstall 3D Builder:

Get-AppxPackage *3dbuilder* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Alarms and Clock:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calculator:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscalculator* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calendar and Mail:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Camera:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscamera* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Office:

Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Skype:

Get-AppxPackage *skypeapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Get Started:

Get-AppxPackage *getstarted* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Groove Music:

Get-AppxPackage *zunemusic* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Maps:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsmaps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collection:

Get-AppxPackage *solitairecollection* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Money:

Get-AppxPackage *bingfinance* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Movies & TV:

Get-AppxPackage *zunevideo* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall News:

Get-AppxPackage *bingnews* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall OneNote:

Get-AppxPackage *onenote* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall People:

Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Phone Companion:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsphone* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Photos:

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Store:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsstore* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Sports:

Get-AppxPackage *bingsports* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Voice Recorder:

Get-AppxPackage *soundrecorder* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Weather:

Get-AppxPackage *bingweather* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Xbox:

Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage

Instructions: Open Command Prompt as admin (right click on start and select Command Prompt (Admin) ). Enter in each command one by one (each line below is one command) and hit enter to delete the said service. Once removed you can not get them back without re-installing windows.

To delete compromising and uneeded Windows 10 services:

sc delete diagtrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
sc delete XboxNetApiSvc
sc delete XblGameSave
sc delete XblAuthManager
sc delete WSService
sc delete WMPNetworkSvc
sc delete icssvc
sc delete WerSvc
sc delete RemoteRegistry
sc delete RetailDemo
sc delete wercplsupport

To completely uninstall OneDrive:

Open Command Prompt in Administrator mode: Right-click on the Windows icon in the taskbar and select Command Prompt (Admin).
Type in taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe to terminate any OneDrive processes and hit Enter.
Then type in %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall if youre using 64-bit Windows 10 and hit Enter.

Block windows spying with antibeacon

Run these scrips to remove cortana, edge, feedback and insider hub

Disable windows update in servcies and enable it when YOU want to run it, dont let it run on its own…

and use a good firewall, AVG antivirus is nice and easy to use, set it to interactive so you can decide what connects (remember to exclude mining programs from antivirus)

OR just use ubuntu or simpleminingOS

4 Likes

Wow thanks I will copy that . What do you mean patching win7 to get 6 gpus running?

6-gpu patch, you got 6 working without it?

I have 5 gpus . I had 4 running on a 1200w power supply. Then that crapped out. So I connected a 1000w power supply but it would only 3 right now and bought a power supply connector off Amazon to hook up (should have gotten that from you also it left Shanghai a couple days ago) but whenever that comes in I should be able to hook up to have 5 running on the one machine. Then I just bout a cpu, motherboard, ram combo from you. Plus a 750w power supply and 2 1080 gtx gpus .tax time I’m gonna buy 4 more gpus to add to make 6. So one machine will have 5 gpus and the other will have 6 gpus.

Oh and i a 850w power supply to add the the 1000w so I can connect the other 2 to what I have running right now. And working on getting a solar panel kit to power the 5 gpu machine and adding slowly to also power the next rig of 6.

cool, yeah maybe win 10 will be better for the 6 rig

1 Like

What about Linux has anyone had problems with Linux detecting gpus?

From the articles and forums that I’ve been reading, Linux may have driver issues recognizing Nvidia cards, but someone would have to validate this.

Well Damn I was hoping to stay away from Windows. So you Bought a license for each rig?

Miners don’t need license haha

2 Likes

if your using it for mining you generally dont need to activate it
but if you do need licenses I can get you them for cheap.

This is a great list – but why the M.2 SSD drive? Even on sale, they tend to be more expensive than a regular old SSD drives. M.2 gives marginally better performance when copying tons of files, but that is not so relevant to mining. And the M.2 is going to prevent going to 8 cards on the Asus Z270-A/-P won’t it?

It’s nice in that it’s small and not one extra component to velcro or attach to your frame, but is there any other advantage to an M.2 drive? I tired an Intel M.2 SSD and then kind of regretted the choice…

So what is the advantage you are seeing with the M.2 over a cheaper external SSD?

Maybe it was just my experience, but I didn’t notice a faster boot up time under Win 10 using an M.2 SSD.

cause it will free us a power cable

I have no issue reconizing Nvidia GPUs in Linux.

Holy smokes cryptomined! Thanks much for the amazing list that you posted on cleaning up Windows 10. You are truly awesome!

1 Like