Mining with Linux & NVIDIA GTX 1080

Hi there, currently mining with 1080ti under Windows and able to get around 750-900 local. Is it possible to mine further, under Linux? This is critical since I am about to buy a couple more 1080ti boards. Regards.

How are you getting 900? What version of the 1080ti are you using? I am only able to get to 800 with an AORUS Xtreme.

Asus rog strix. But this is momentarily. Average is floating around 740. I am.wondering how 800s were achieved with just 1070, above. Are there any linux tricks here?

They are using 2 1070s

Ah, Thats missed from the eye :slight_smile:

If they did get that much out of the 1070s I would be buying like mad :grinning:

1 Like

But really wondering if linux performs any faster then Windows.

Seems @blue pm cleared up everything.
You’ll find mobos are likely to support more cards under a Linux env than that of Windows, and that it is possible to squeeze a few more sols due to you being able to build a bare bones OS from ground up which allows fine grain tuning for one application (slack, arch etc.) with custom compiled kernels better suited for the task, so yes its more efficient.
Best of all once you’ve got one rig set, you can just clone that ssd for future duplicates.

Then I will try to compile the miner app under ubuntu to see what will change. The thing most ppl complain about linuxes is inability to OC, for nvidia. Is this still the case?

“Not true”. nvidia-settings and nvidia-smi are your friends.

Ubuntu isn’t bare bones btw. And what miner are you using? Just Most of the high end miners for nvidia are blackboxes.

Currently I am mining under Windows with ewbf’s and not tried under Linux yet. I appreciate any recommendations since I am not very fluent in Linux.

Well if you make a better miner than EWBF’s for Linux make it for Windows too :grin:

EWBF : Driver nvidia-361
Asus STRIX 1070 OC , Linux 16.4 – 445 sol/s
Asus STRIX 1080 TI OC , Linux 16.4 – 700 sol/s
Zotac 1080 TI , Linux 16.4 – 700 sol/s

ewbf is go to. Heard nothing but good things about excavator for win, have you compared alongside ewbf?

No never heard of it. But, numbers above, I am used to get around 770 sol/s with Ti rog strix(win), locally. 700 sol is a bit on low side but my card is the only card & directly plugged in, working at x16 speed, if that matters.

770 is really nice! but 1x vs x16 doesn’t really matter at all.
I don’t know the bandwith but your gpu isn’t fast enough in order to make a difference

1 Like
1 Like

I don’t want to spam this thread but I signed up to ask you something. I have a dumb question… how I can PM you? I don’t see an option anywhere

Profile - anon - Zcash Community Forum then message

Reviving an old thread, but looking at 1070 vs 1080ti figures really have me thinking…

Using MSi Afterburner OC tool, I have a 70% power limit and mem clock to +650 and GPU clock to +99. I currently run 6x EVGA GTX 1070 FTW @ 470 Sol/s. I am consuming 995W at the wall and ~2800 Sols/s. Fan is set to 90%.

If I push to 90% power and mem clock to +650 and GPU clock to +129, I get 500-510 Sols/s. Total Fan is at 100% to keep GPUs between 54C and 60C. Total hashrate is close to 3000 Sols/s. However, power consumption suffers at ~1400W.

I found that the extra 100 Sols/s wasn’t worth the extra 40% in power consumption.

With that being said, I am probably going to build another rig, but this time, power will be free. Will the bump in Sols/s with the 1080ti be worth the premium over the 1070? I’m debating six 1080ti GPUs or 8 1070 GPUs.

Also will the regular 1080 have the same hashrate as a 1080ti?
Any thoughts?