MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

Can I run Ethos with this bios flashed?

I am new to the mining world and the person helping me is using Ethos, is there any advantages of using ethos other windows?

Thank you!

@mining-hardware Is PSU : CORSAIR RM1000X enough power to connect 7 gpus? as I see it just have 6 (8pin) PCI-e connectors am I right? How could you do it??? please help I just burned my cpu trying to connect them

you ask if a CORSAIR RM1000X is enough to run 7 gpu’s… IF you don’t tell us what the 7 GPU’s are, no one can answer you

Corsair RM1000x has “only” 6 SATA slots… how did you get 7 GPUs working PLUS your SSD?!

1 Like

Hi everyone, i know that MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON support 7gpu very well, but it’s out of stock. i consider to buy MSI Z170A Gaming M5 , this one also have 4x PCI-Express 3.0 x1 Slots & 3x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slots https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Enthuastic-Z170A-Motherboard-M5/dp/B0131GA4WI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1496837816&sr=1-3&keywords=Z170A+Gaming+Pro+Carbon
Any advise regarding MSI Z170A Gaming M5 for 7GPU mining?

Hi Garethtdavies, how about your MSI Z170A Gaming M5 ? Is it can run 7 GPU?

I would like to know about MSI Z170A GAMING M5 as well. It seems I can only get it running with 4 cards. I have tried the latest bios, older bioses, 7977v15 (the one that supports my cpu intel G3900), tried ethOS, different amd drivers, and of course the guide here. I haven’t made progress in almost 2 days. Any ideas?

or you can try ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 :slight_smile:

Hi, do you know how to mod sapphire 580 4gb with hynix ?

Thank you for this! Went from 4 nvidia 1070 to 6 on a Z170a SLI.

Possible extra step:
I had a stubborn 6th card that appeared in device manager but with the yellow warning, typical code 43 nonesense. I disabled and re-anabled and that fixed it! Hope this helps someone else in my position.

1 Like

Hello, so one also needs to get a copy of windows 10 home edition?

Guys

i was checking on the MSI website and the files there for BIOS update are different from what i can see in the pictures at the begining of the post.

Where the picture shows a 1.7 version of release date 2016 for multigraphics support, in the website there is only one version for that, the 1.D version with release date of 2017-01-11

Somebody can explain why this or any experience with this BIOS version?

Thanks in advance

1 Like

jmsantaella, I used the latest BIOS version and it worked as expected.

thanks dude! this mobo rocks for the price

hello

please i want ask … when you update the bios …are you connect the screen with internal HDMI or DVI or external GPU ???

when i enter to bios and want enter to setting the bios is freeze and can not do any thing

i connect the screen with external gpu … when i connect to internal hdmi the bios screen not show good

Hi,

I’m having issues with MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon and 6 GPUs under Ubuntu 16.04.

I got 6 Sapphire RX470 Nitro (non-plus) OC 8GB (Micron memory) and even with stock bios settings as soon as I start Claymore miner two out of six cards all of sudden goes to 0mh/s.

Motherboard is running bios 1.7

Ubuntu 16.04
kernel 4.4.0-78
amdgpu-pro 17.10-429170

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dom

Hello,

I have MSI Z270A-Pro motherboard. I apply the similar steps to my motherboard. However, I could not solve. 4 gpu or less is well working with linux(simplemining). More than 4 gpus is not working. I updated the bios. When I enable the 4g decoding option on bios. the OS (both linux and windows10) does not start. (actually linux freezes, windows10 restarts itself contionously) Is there anyone solve such an issue, already?

Thanks.

1 Like

I am using the same board but 1 or 2 of my gpus stop mining. Did you have to change any other settings in the bios for stability?

Are you using powered risers?

hello,

can someone help me i cannot run my 4th r9 295 x2 i already run 3. but can someone help me run the 4th

im using MSI Z170 gaming m5

thank you