As we enter the fourth quarter of 2022, the Nighthawk team continues to maintain the lightwalletd service infrastructure, Zcash Block Explorer, and work on a light client strategy for 2023 & beyond for Nighthawk Wallet. The present syncing times and experience remain degraded, and our priority is to get the ZIP-317 changes adopted & implemented to reduce the impact on light clients.
Nighthawk Wallet updates:
- Transition the Unstoppable Domain Name Service endpoint from Alchemy to a self-hosted.
- Continue reviewing & testing upcoming changes in the light client SDK.
- Plan towards adopting Unified Addresses for Sapling and Transparent pools only before adding Orchard pool support.
- Provide ongoing end-user support to users of Nighthawk Wallet via Twitter & ProtonMail channels.
- App Changelog is published at https://nighthawkwallet.com/changelog/
Light Client Working Group:
- Attend bi-weekly LCWG calls to discuss upcoming mobile SDK changes and plans following NU5.
- LCWG meeting briefs are available at GitHub GitHub - zcash/lcwg: Light Client Working Group project management repository
Goal: Keep up-to-date versions for zcashd & lightwalletd to continue providing high availability public infrastructure for light-wallet based Zcash applications.
- Upgrade main-net & test-net services with zcashd v5.3.0
- Monitor lightwalletd servers and increased bandwidth demands.
- Maintain 100% uptime via load-balanced main-net and single instance test-net services
- Continue maintaining the monthly warranty canary on https://lightwalletd.com
Goal: Provide a fast, lightweight, Tor-enabled, no-tracker/no-analytics/no-logging Zcash transaction explorer.
- Upgrade zcashd to v5.3.0 for Zcash Block Explorer.
- Monitor increased load on zcashblockexplorer.com due to both visitor demand and zcashd resource usage.
- Continue working towards architecting & estimating costs for a test-net version of Zcash Block Explorer.
(On Hold) Zcash <> Thorchain Integration
Goal: Add Zcash to Thorchain to enable decentralized ZEC trading and LP incentives.
The Zcash implementation is currently on hold following upcoming conventional transaction fee-related changes and optimizations for zcashd core node software. As for the Zcash-specific Thorchain work, the following items are pending:
a) Work on bridging ancillary Python code for integration tests.
b) Executing smoke test suite on updated test-net infra with zcashd v5.2.0+
c) Work on xchain.js wallet APIs for Zcash to support upcoming changes in conventional fee structure.