Quick help ? (CPU Mining)

Greetings all !

I’m preparing USB keys with Ubuntu and zcash for CPU mining …

I would like to offer an ISO, bootable for those who want to give it a try.

I’m also doing it for some students of mine (elementary). I want to show them crypto.

I’m at the step right before testing, but I get this error :

fred@clone-black:~/zcash$ ./qa/zcash/full-test-suite.sh

===== BEGIN: /home/fred/zcash/qa/zcash/check-security-hardening.sh
make: Entering directory ‘/home/fred/zcash/src’
CXXLD zcashd
zcashd-bitcoind.o: In function WaitForShutdown(boost::thread_group*)': /home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:38: undefined reference to ShutdownRequested()’
/home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:43: undefined reference to ShutdownRequested()' zcashd-bitcoind.o: In function AppInit(int, char**)‘:
/home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:76: undefined reference to LicenseInfo[abi:cxx11]()' /home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:83: undefined reference to HelpMessageabi:cxx11
/home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:147: undefined reference to AppInit2(boost::thread_group&, CScheduler&)' /home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:164: undefined reference to Shutdown()’
libbitcoin_server.a(libbitcoin_server_a-noui.o): In function boost::shared_ptr<boost::signals2::detail::signal_impl<bool (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int), boost::signals2::last_value<bool>, int, std::less<int>, boost::function<bool (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int)>, boost::function<bool (boost::signals2::connection const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int)>, boost::signals2::mutex> >::operator*() const': /home/fred/zcash/depends/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:703: undefined reference to uiInterface’
libbitcoin_server.a(libbitcoin_server_a-noui.o): In function boost::shared_ptr<boost::signals2::detail::signal_impl<void (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&), boost::signals2::optional_last_value<void>, int, std::less<int>, boost::function<void (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)>, boost::function<void (boost::signals2::connection const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)>, boost::signals2::mutex> >::operator*() const': /home/fred/zcash/depends/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:703: undefined reference to uiInterface’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:3079: recipe for target ‘zcashd’ failed
make: *** [zcashd] Error 1
make: Leaving directory ‘/home/fred/zcash/src’
===== FAILED: /home/fred/zcash/qa/zcash/check-security-hardening.sh
===== BEGIN: /home/fred/zcash/qa/zcash/ensure-no-dot-so-in-depends.py
PASS.
===== PASSED: /home/fred/zcash/qa/zcash/ensure-no-dot-so-in-depends.py
===== BEGIN: make check || { echo === ./src/test-suite.log === ; cat ./src/test-suite.log ; false ; }
Making check in src
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/home/fred/zcash/src’
make[2]: Entering directory ‘/home/fred/zcash/src’
CXXLD zcashd
zcashd-bitcoind.o: In function WaitForShutdown(boost::thread_group*)': /home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:38: undefined reference to ShutdownRequested()’
/home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:43: undefined reference to ShutdownRequested()' zcashd-bitcoind.o: In function AppInit(int, char**)‘:
/home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:76: undefined reference to LicenseInfo[abi:cxx11]()' /home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:83: undefined reference to HelpMessageabi:cxx11
/home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:147: undefined reference to AppInit2(boost::thread_group&, CScheduler&)' /home/fred/zcash/src/bitcoind.cpp:164: undefined reference to Shutdown()’
libbitcoin_server.a(libbitcoin_server_a-noui.o): In function boost::shared_ptr<boost::signals2::detail::signal_impl<bool (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int), boost::signals2::last_value<bool>, int, std::less<int>, boost::function<bool (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int)>, boost::function<bool (boost::signals2::connection const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned int)>, boost::signals2::mutex> >::operator*() const': /home/fred/zcash/depends/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:703: undefined reference to uiInterface’
libbitcoin_server.a(libbitcoin_server_a-noui.o): In function boost::shared_ptr<boost::signals2::detail::signal_impl<void (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&), boost::signals2::optional_last_value<void>, int, std::less<int>, boost::function<void (std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)>, boost::function<void (boost::signals2::connection const&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&)>, boost::signals2::mutex> >::operator*() const': /home/fred/zcash/depends/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:703: undefined reference to uiInterface’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:3079: recipe for target ‘zcashd’ failed
make[2]: *** [zcashd] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/fred/zcash/src’
Makefile:7345: recipe for target ‘check-recursive’ failed
make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/fred/zcash/src’
Makefile:644: recipe for target ‘check-recursive’ failed
make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
=== ./src/test-suite.log ===
cat: ./src/test-suite.log: No such file or directory
===== FAILED: make check || { echo === ./src/test-suite.log === ; cat ./src/test-suite.log ; false ; }

Any idea ?

This is just a guess… Some of those tests are very memory intensive - and there’s a reasonable chance that if you’re booting from a USB key, the system probably doesn’t have access to a swap partition.

What happens if you go on to start zcashd anyway?

This :

fred@clone-black:~/zcash$ ./src/zcashd -daemon
bash: ./src/zcashd: No such file or directory
fred@clone-black:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli getinfo
bash: ./src/zcash-cli: No such file or directory

I’m testing in a C2D with 2G ram … it’s running in HDD, not usb key

Your OS should give you access to a task monitor that will show you live statistics such as memory usage - your system probably doesn’t have enough memory.

ok, thanks for the info, I was thinking that too. The src folder exist, but
the commands is not found, I guess the system is just not right. Any place
where I can download something ready to test? zcashd?

Even if you got zcashd to run, you’d need an extraordinarily lean OS to be able to mine on a 2GB system.

However, you could try compiling on a system with more memory and then just copying the zcash folders to your current system. Be aware that there are permission issues in doing this. There’s a chmod command that can help here but I don’t know how to use it properly. I’ve gotten around that by making sure the account names on the source and destination systems are the same.

Thanks for your help !

I guess I will have to change my strategy. At the school we have old servers not running (moved to cloud now). They are dual CPU (xeon) with around 16-24gb ram and about 80gb space). What would be the best virtual machine setup ? I was thinking 1 cpu, 4 core and 8gb ram per machine.

Thanks

I don’t have any experience with that but from my experience with my own computers I’d expect that, with 4 to 8 GB of swap space, your proposed virtual machines should be able to compile the source code and perform joinsplit transactions.