Super-cool, low electricity mining rig

I’m thinking of building a rig, which I want to place in a room where temperature and electricity could be an issue. I decided that for this rig, I need a closed case (rather than the open-air rigs I currently have), and something to be liquid cooled.

Here’s what I had in mind:

• Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI (the cheapest intel 1151 board I could find with 3 full PCI-E 16/8/4 slots.
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core G4560 (1151)
  • Corair 4GB DDR4
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W Gold Modular
  • Case: Antec GX1200 (Full tower. the cheapest case I was able to find that could hold 3 double-sized GPUs).
  • 3xGPUs: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling

My questions;

1. Is it safe to assume that I’ll get at least 500 H/s with EWBF for each GPU?
  2. With the cards being water cooled, will this really be a cool (cold) rig?

Any other thoughts will be highly appreciated.

[quote=“DrYM, post:1, topic:15897, full:true”]
I’m thinking of building a rig, which I want to place in a room where temperature and electricity could be an issue. I decided that for this rig, I need a closed case (rather than the open-air rigs I currently have), and something to be liquid cooled.

Here’s what I had in mind:

• Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI (the cheapest intel 1151 board I could find with 3 full PCI-E 16/8/4 slots.
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core G4560 (1151)
  • Corair 4GB DDR4
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W Gold Modular
  • Case: Antec GX1200 (Full tower. the cheapest case I was able to find that could hold 3 double-sized GPUs).
  • 3xGPUs: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling

My questions;

1. Is it safe to assume that I’ll get at least 500 H/s with EWBF for each GPU?
  2. With the cards being water cooled, will this really be a cool (cold) rig?

It doesn’t matter whether the card is air cooled or water cooled, the total amount of heat generated is the same. The cards run cooler in a watercool setup, but the room won’t be cooler, it will still be a hot problem room.

That being said I run a miner with All in one watercool cards and they do work well as they exhaust the air straight out of the case no nonsense so you can cram them in no problem, if you tried 3 air cooled cards in that case it would be a disaster.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. So 3 watercooled cards stuffed in a case will work fine, although the room temperature won’t change compared to 3 air cooled cards. I think I can live with it. Any ideas regarding hash rate? Around 500 per card with a little undervolting maybe sounds reasonable?

yes you can get 500+ with ewbf undervolting

my 1080’s are air cooled so my settings for temp and oc’ing isn’t going to be ideal for you