Zcash Node sees no peers

I’ve been running a Zcash node for 4 days. Running Ubuntu 14.04 and followed the instructions in the 1.0 User guide.

I’ve seen 0 transactions and I have no peer nodes found when issuing the zcash-cli getpeerinfo

Is this something to be concerned about?

I’m trouble shooting why I can’t see money that has been sent to my taddress and figure this might be a first step…

Maybe I should break this off into its own thread, but maybe it’s related. I’m waiting for a T address transaction into my wallet. It’s been over 7 hours according to ZChain:
https://explorer.zcha.in/accounts/t1P2gmZi7VwU4w1CGJLxKeasW9VBF3C4KcD

Here’s zcash-cli is telling me:

brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli z_getbalance "t1P2gmZi7VwU4w1CGJLxKeasW9VBF3C4KcD"0.00000000
brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli getbalance “”
brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli z_listaddresses
[
“zcK6dStDk1sS3HBfYA5eaVBpdY8JybX2hgybf44d6pAUmYfXmGNzHLZanLsXCBZ2ojb2n4275JNSgEJ94QbFKN7hbLYm2Q1”
]
brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli listaddressgroupings
[
]
brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli z_getbalance “zcK6dStDk1sS3HBfYA5eaVBpdY8JybX2hgybf44d6pAUmYfXmGNzHLZanLsXCBZ2ojb2n4275JNSgEJ94QbFKN7hbLYm2Q1”
brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$

I can’t see to get my T address from zcash-cli. I only have it because I copied it when following the setup instructions.

I also found it odd that people were referring to “wallet.dat”, yet I couldn’t find a wallet.dat anywhere on my system. I issued a zcash-cli dumpwallet command to create a wallet.dat but I’m not sure that is normal…

Any idea what’s going on? I’m a Linux and altcoin noob, so any help is appreciated!

Here’s my zcash-cli getinfo data:

brian@Vaio-Server:~/zcash$ ./src/zcash-cli getinfo
{
“version” : 1000028,
“protocolversion” : 170002,
“walletversion” : 60000,
“balance” : 0.00000000,
“blocks” : 0,
“timeoffset” : 0,
“connections” : 0,
“proxy” : “”,
“difficulty” : 1.00000000,
“testnet” : false,
“keypoololdest” : 1477761106,
“keypoolsize” : 101,
“paytxfee” : 0.00000000,
“relayfee” : 0.00005000,
“errors” : “This is a pre-release test build - use at your own risk - do not use for mining or merchant applications”
}

I notice that my version is 28 where in another thread someone posted a screen shot of getinfo and had version 50. Am I running an older version?

I followed these instructions to install on 10/29:

looks like you’re running an old beta.

first of all, run:

./src/zcash-cli dumpprivkey t1P2gmZi7VwU4w1CGJLxKeasW9VBF3C4KcD

keep the key that it dumps out, then wipe your existing zcash setup and perform the following (make sure you wipe the .zcash folders that appear hidden):

from here, for a clean install:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential pkg-config libc6-dev m4 g+±multilib autoconf libtool ncurses-dev unzip git python zlib1g-dev wget bsdmainutils automake
git clone GitHub - zcash/zcash: Zcash - Internet Money
cd zcash/
git checkout v1.0.0
./zcutil/fetch-params.sh
./zcutil/build.sh -j4
cd src
./zcashd -server -daemon -rpcuser=briank -rpcpassword=FHIWEUIFEW82394234 -rpcbind=127.0.0.1 -rpcallowip=127.0.0.1 -addnode=mainnet.z.cash

to watch daemon sync:
tail -f /root/.zcash/debug.log

then, to get yer phat cash back:
./zcash-cli -rpcuser=briank -rpcpassword=FHIWEUIFEW82394234 -rpcconnect=127.0.0.1 importprivkey keythatyoukeptfromearlier

hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks so much Barry. I’ll try this tonight. May I ask how you chose that RPC password? Is that just you hitting random keys?

I have to admit, I don’t get the point of the RPC password. When does one ever use it?

yep, my standard method…
rpc password is very important… using rpc-json calls you can basically administer a wallet remotely (even over public ip/internet with SSL), as if you were logged in right in front of the machine that ran it - allowing for transfers/withdrawals, or anything that you could do now…
perhaps not important for someone giving a new currency a go, but an essential mechanism for somewhere like an exchange with hundreds of coin daemons running across their servers.
let me know if you have any hassles (obviously use a diff password haha)

Maybe making zcash.conf in .zcash directory would be better because rpcpassword will be shown at the process commandline all the time. (It’s too public)

zcash.conf example -----------------
addnode=mainnet.z.cash
rpcuser=username
rpcpassword=hellopassword
(end) -----------------------------------

If you run zcashd without zcash.conf, then zcashd will suggest some random password. Using that password would be good as it’s complex enough.