ZCash Thin Wallet

I have done my research and I have not been able to find a “Thin” Wallet.

I am thinking just like Bitcoin Electrum or Armory, where they have the full functions of a “node” but without needing to download all the blockchain?

Thanks!

There’s the web wallet interface provided for Trezor users, Jaxx (caution…), Coinomi (mobile only)…

Use Cryptonator website

Thanks for the replies, however, I would never trust an online wallet to have control / access over my private keys for t or z addresses… not that I do not trust them… to many Bitcoin / Ethereum web wallets or exchanges have fallen victims and lost private keys for customers.

So… interesting… it seems there are no ZCash thin wallets yet… something to really take into account…

z-addresses are only available to core wallet users at this time. Trezor’s web wallet (and whatever the other hardware wallets provide) does not have control over user’s private keys. Those reside on the hardware wallet.

I just checked, and indeed Jaxx allows you all the functions needed from a thin client… so that is perfect for me.

Just one question for you… why did you place “caution” on your above comment? Something that happened or might trigger you to think there might be some risk by using Jaxx? Or is this just the “usual caution” you must have when using thin/web wallets?

I really like that you can sweep external private keys, and that you can export your private keys!

Thanks for your help!!!

Jaxx zcash implementation is t-address only at the present time.

Not so long ago, Jaxx was found to store the wallet seed as plaintext and, at least initially, tried to make excuses to justify doing nothing about that. I don’t know if they’ve since made any attempt improve their security practices.

Thank you very much for sharing this. They have the following in their website, but still does not clarify how they transmit the information to their servers:

How safe/secure is Jaxx? How can I enhance my security?

Unlike many other wallets, Jaxx doesn’t store any user information, wallet data, or funds on any centralized server. All wallet files are stored strictly client-side, which means that Jaxx has no central point of failure. As long as you have a written copy of your wallet’s 12-word backup phrase, you will be able to back up or restore all wallet assets indefinitely.

That said, while it can’t be hacked on a systemic level in the same way centralized services can, Jaxx is only as “safe” as your security practices are. If you lose your device or download malware onto your computer that grants remote access, malicious users may be able to access your wallet. Sweep your computer for malware regularly, take advantage of your device’s built-in security features, and use the Security PIN option, which protects all functions that can be used to remove funds or keys.

The computers at the other end of the internet connection that enable the user’s Jaxx wallet to function don’t require any private keys or seed information - they only need the public addresses. All the transaction signing occurs on the user’s computer. However, PIN or not, as long as Jaxx stores the user’s seed as plaintext on the user’s computer, it’s open to abuse.