ZDA Summary - Q3 2020
The Zcash Developer Alliance held its second meeting on Monday, September 14th. To promote transparency and collaboration, Electric Coin Company will post a short summary after each quarterly ZDA meeting. This is the summary from the discussion.
|Agoric||Dean Tribble, Vanessa Pestritto, Brian Warner|
|ConsenSys||Robert Drost, Joseph Chow|
|Electric Coin||Nathan Wilcox, Steven Smith, Daira Hopwood, Chris Nuttycombe, Andre Serrano, Elena Giralt, Jack Grigg, Kim Wolf|
|Thesis||Matt Luongo, Carolyn Reckhow|
|Bolt Labs||Ayo Akinyele|
Absent Loi Luu, Kyber
Welcome, Introductions, and Agenda Review: The agenda for the meeting covered Zcash/ ECC Updates and ZDA Member Updates.
Zcash & ECC Updates: Steven updated the group on MGRC, elections for the five person committee will conclude on September 18th. MGRC will issue grants to 3rd party developers to work on top of Zcash. Canopy (NU4) mainnet activation will be 2020.11.18 which coincides with the first Zcash halvening and the launch of the new development fund.
- Since the initial ZDA meeting in May, ECC has activated the Heartwood network upgrade, Luxor mined the first shielded coinbase, ECC released testnet-in-a-box and ECC released the source code for Halo 2. Zcash Foundation is working on launching zebrad consensus node as well as R&D work on network privacy.
- Cosmos Pegzone: is another project that the Zcash Foundation is working on. Zaki elaborated on the Pegzone project and the possibility of a decentralized shielded pool pegzone on zebrad.
- FROST: FROST was submitted for academic review in early August.
- Other updates: Nathan highlighted the work of several community projects including Nighthawk Wallet, Zbay, Zboard, ZecPages and an upcoming Zcash focused Gitcoin Grants campaign.
- Agoric: Dean Tribble gave the update. Agoric is exploring DeFi, “it is extremely exciting but very dangerous.” Kate Sills, software engineering at Agoric recording a Code with us demo to show how to make composable defi contracts with Cosmos.
- Bolt Labs: Ayo Akinyele shared his update in slack. At Bolt Labs, we’ve been working to deploy zkChannels on top of Zcash (amongst a few other blockchains). zkChannels is a second layer protocol for scalable and usable private off-chain transactions. Over the last few months, we have been working with the testnet-in-a-box project and getting closer to our goal with the Transparent Zcash Extension (TZE) design & implementation. Regarding our zkChannels protocol design, we have generalized our ZK protocol beyond Zcash so that it supports Tezos (an account-based blockchain) in addition to Zcash.
- Consensys: Robert Drost gave the update. Ethereum 2.0 is getting close to mainnet.
- Thesis: Matt Luongo gave the update. Matt discussed the lessons learned from tBTC.
Next steps: ZDA will publish a round up of the launches related to member projects.