Zeme Team — Marketing made viral for Zcash

Hello,

We’re continuing to make great progress on Zeme Team. Today we’ve completed the setup process for our infrastructure (Milestone 3). Below is a break down on what our technical stack looks like.

React.js

We’re writing the ZT web application in Next.js (https://nextjs.org/). Next is a popular react framework that makes React easier, while also coming with its own feature set and extensions.

Supabase

We’ve spun up a Postgres database via Supabase (https://supabase.io/) and connected in to our React app. Supabase comes with crud APIs for each db table, eliminating the need for us to manage and write our own APIs.

Cloudinary

Asset management is one of the most tricky parts to ZT. We considered rolling a s3 bucket and managing all assets directly. However, we needed a lot more flexibility to easily convert asset file types, dimensions and sizes. Writing our own logic to convert the assets into many different sizes and formats introduced more complexity than we were willing to take on right now.

ZT will be a very bandwidth/resource heavy application (never ending scrolling of images, animated gifs and eventually videos) and to ensure the application performs well enough on most devices, we need to convert image assets to WebP format (in browsers that support it).

For example, gifs are terrible when it comes to performance and Cloudinary (https://cloudinary.com/) allows us to easily convert them into WebP or MP4 — saving up to 80% on file size and bandwidth.

Amazon Rekognition

We’ll be using Amazon Rekognition (Machine Learning Image and Video Analysis - Amazon Rekognition - Amazon Web Services) to programmatically check each user uploaded image for nudity, extreme violence, etc. Any image that gets flagged by Rekognition will be marked as ‘in review’ and will require a human to check on it before displaying it to the public. This will help ensure ZT is a safe place to browse content.

Vercel

ZT will be hosted on Vercel (https://vercel.com/). Vercel easily connects to GitHub repos making it painless to deploy changes to production in one command. We have it hooked up to the ZT web repo, which will auto deploy upon master build updates.

GitHub
All of our code will be managed in GitHub. All code will be open source.

That’s mostly it. All of our infrastructure is up and running and development of ZT has started. I’m expecting we’ll have much more to share with everyone by the end of June.

Thank you!
Ziga

7 Likes

Great update, keep up the great work, can’t wait to take this for a test drive!

2 Likes

Hey all,

I hope all is well with everyone. I want share a quick update since it now has been nearly a month since our last public update. I’m happy to report that the react app for ZT is ~85% coded now. We’ve spent a lot of time optimizing the never ending scrolling experience and content modal experience to ensure the performance is as smooth as it can be. It’s feeling really great.

The ZT react app is now also fully responsive across desktop and mobile devices. It works great from any device. The only major item left to code is the create post process, which will include automated checks for identifying explicit content. I’m expecting this will take a few more weeks to wrap up.

We’re still on schedule and looking forward to launching ZT by end of July or early August. Later this week, I will be collecting content from people that have made Zcash related art in the past (we’d like to include a bunch of content for launch). I’ll post more details on this process soon. Stay tuned.

Here’s the latest preview:

Ziga

6 Likes

I posted this somewhere at sometime can’t remember heh, everything else I ever did was too sarcastic and dark really :persevere:
gifeditor_20190527_203631

3 Likes

This looks awesome!

1 Like

To earn shielded tips on ZT at launch, please see this thread: Calling all creators - Zeme Team needs your content!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Calling all creators - Zeme Team needs your content!

Please post them here: Calling all creators - Zeme Team needs your content!

Hello!

I’m happy to report today that the Zeme Team react app is finished! All the major sections and functionality have been coded and are working well. Now we need your help to test ZT out and find any final bugs.

Feel free to test out the react app at the link below. Please note that all data will be deleted prior to going live. So expect that your work will be lost. Only use it for test purposes right now.

Zeme team beta
http://zeme.team/beta-testing-staging-data-only

All code can be viewed here

If you find any bugs, please post them to the GitHub link above.

Thank you!
Ziga

3 Likes

Just a head up for those testing the react app. We found a bug today when attempting to upload images over 5MB. We’re working through it.

More details here:

I think discord is standard 6MB limit. I assume for performance reasons but idk

1 Like

Worst case scenario we’ll need to set a 5MB limit. :frowning:

I’m going to keep digging into it.

1 Like

Try resizing/compressing it with canvas before upload.

1 Like

Going to give that a try. Thanks.

1 Like

image-compressor/image-compressor.js at master · powerbot15/image-compressor · GitHub this lib will probably be fine.

1 Like

It only appears to support jpg/png. No support for gifs. :frowning:

Doing this stuff in the browser is a bad idea always, IMO (especially phone performance of which > 50% of traffic on the internet is these days).

I recommend Serverless Image Handler | Implementations | AWS Solutions.

I agree. I actually decided to move away from Vercel and host the app on Heroku. Heroku doesn’t have any payload limits. Problem solved.

3 Likes

That’s the right idea. Vercel is only decent as a static front-end. Heroku api talking to your client is a nice, cheap, flexible stack.

2 Likes

Hey all,

It has been a blast working on ZT over the past few months. We’re officially launching tomorrow and giving the Zcash community another way to earn shielded Zcash.

Huge shout out to ZOMG for making this project possible. We really appreciate it! :heart:

Really looking forward to tomorrow. Please consider supporting artists on ZT by sending them tips / tweeting their work. A community of giving goes a long way!

:beers:

3 Likes