Zeropond Cloud Mining

their prices aren’t in sol/s…right?

I believe the usage of Sol/s and H/s has become synonymous.

2 Likes

I propose we have a separate thread for all coupon/discount codes and forbid them everywhere else…

10 Likes

I agree, stop the Genesis Mining spam!

I agree to a point but at moderate scale this becomes problematic not to mention the overhead of maintaining the miner and any potential further improvements that Zeropond may have. What margin do you think is reasonable?

Also your assumption of 60H/s equivalent to 2 x RX 480s is unfounded not least as there is no public GPU miner let alone benchmarks on this card (which most devs have said they have had issues with).

The reasons we pay for “cloud” mining or any type of “cloud” service are convenience and cost.

We’re willing to spend an extra 5-10% to let someone else set it up.
These companies make most of their profits due to scale. They’re getting everything in bulk, so they get it cheaper.

Let’s say EoL on a rig is 2 years. 60H/s rig costs… $1200 (for argument sake, I’ll double my hardware cost estimate). So the hardware is $50/month + $30/month electric.
Let’s grant a 25% convenience margin. $80+$20=$100/month

My assumption is the like would cost them $60/month. Warehouse, cooling, Internet and all that accounted for and negligible per 60H/s equivalent due to the size of the operation…

But for argument sake, let’s say I’m wrong and it costs them twice as much. That’s $1440/year. Still some insane profit compared to any other mining operation I’ve looked at.

A good amount of this is speculation though, so please anyone correct any math or figures I’m wrong on.

Genoil testet GPU mining with a RX470 and got 11 H/s. If he’s using best miner currently available 30 H/s for a RX480 seems to me a bit too high.
The RX480 ist not much faster, at least not in ETH mining.

Hope there will be soon some new details about the RX480…

Someone mentioned getting 48 Sol/s on a 4770K so my guess is there’s a lot still needed to be done.

Yes I agree, they certainly have a healthy margin but remember there is still no public GPU miner so in essence you are paying for that and as such it should trade at a premium… I’ve said repeatedly that as soon as one is released this business will quickly get commoditized but the current comparison is unfair.

Not sure that unfair is the right word. Margins that pays off hardware and 12-month power for the cloud owner in month-1 of a 12 month contract isn’t exactly ‘market pricing’. That said, I am sure that more hash rate increases will continue to be announced as competition hardens.

At least Toomim and Zeropond have very good reasons to stay market competitive and not be viewed by the community as fly-by-night cash-grab operations.

Genesis will prob just follow trend, being the by far biggest operation with other legs to stand on.

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a quick update. We’ve made it to Canada and are receiving hardware and working on the physical setup. We’ve had some minor headaches with international shipping but everything is looking bright as it stands. Setting up a farm properly is a lot of work, and having everything running smoothly for launch is our top prioritiy.

Due to it being crunch time for the buildout, we haven’t had as much time as we’d like to work on miner optimizations. However, it is definitely on our agenda and we look forward to continued research once our datacenter is built out.

Thanks for your support.

4 Likes

Can we send our own hardware for mining to your datacener?

I believe this has been answered before. The answer (for now) is that they might allow customers to purchase rigs in the future but do not allow for GPU miners to be sent in.

This is most likely (and discussed in the YouTube interview) that GPU miners generally don’t follow a set standard (almost every miner look and function differently, as opposed to ASIC that are uniform).

I for one understand this, as even shipping a GPU rig is almost impossible if it’s not dismantled, due to the weight of GPU’s and the PCIE connectors, frame etc.

A much better option in my view would be to secure hosting space, and a contract with a single local GPU rig assembly/sales company. This would allow the host to dictate the setup and components, and customers to order machines for deployment.

Sources: Toomim brothers youtube interview regarding the matter, and my own experience in GPU mining rig shipping (terrible).

1 Like

Too bad I didn’t know you were looking for a cool place with cheap power. We have a whole empty facility we’re looking to expand into and we’re in Washington State in a town with hydroelectric power. Cost is less than 4 cents per kw/h.

Wouldn’t have had to deal with the international shipping cost or anything. I’d have reached out if I’d had known you were looking to relocate but the first thing I saw was that you found a new place then that it was in Canada.

There are places around here with even cheaper power (like close to 2 cents kw/h - see: Washington State Utility Raises Power Rates on Bitcoin Miners - CoinDesk)

Should have asked I guess…

Oh well. You should get a GoPro or something and record your buildout like these guys did:Installing 7 GH/s of Ethereum Miners (3/3) 7/7/2016

I’m sure it would excite your customers.

Yes please! …

Washington does have very cheap power. But there are lots of other considerations when choosing a mining data-center. Canada is exceptionally business friendly and tax-wise very accomodating. Not to mention no money-transmitter BS (as far as I know) and generally less crypto legalities.

I am not involved with any of the zcash cloud mining companies. Just speaking from experience.

1 Like

Well I wish you the best of luck.

@5a1t,@tim_olson It’s great that Zeropond promised to update their mining contracts whenever new and optimized miners are released.

I’ve just ran the Nicehash cpu miner (windows built too!) and reached 4-5 hashes/sec with one i7-2800 CPU. (based on @tromp’s solver)

Can’t wait to hear more about their next updated plan with these new miner software.

You can check out and test the miner yourself here:

1 Like

@zcashio

Thanks for sharing the info about @tromp’s work with us. We have been following developments made by everyone posting here on the forum closely.

We do stand committed to hashrate increases when someone releases a public miner that exceeds our in house miner. As stated before, we would work to increase our speeds or adopt their miner.

We strive to get the best efficiency we can for all of you, and have been working hard on increasing efficiency even without a public GPU miner release.

However, as mentioned, we are running GPUs, so @tromp’s CPU miner cannot be compared or adapted to our setup. We look forward to more public GPU miner releases so we can examine and adopt their optimizations. :slight_smile:

I’m completely unfamiliar with your setup as you have not shared any of it, but tromp’s code is in cuda, and my understanding is that cuda and opencl ports are fairly trivial, there are even automated programs to do it.

However the approach tromp and xenoncat use is complicated and I understand it being difficult to adapt to your solver and gpu threads. I am currently in the process of doing just that. You are more than welcome to follow as it is open source.

3 Likes