ZIP for a separate wallet directory in ZecWallet

Hi all. Would like it if ZecWallet had separate directories for the blockchain and wallet file so those who are running ZW on a separate volume like here don’t have to update the blockchain every time they want to access their keys on the flash drive.

2 Likes

@adityapk00 this is your department :slight_smile: I don’t think a ZIP is necessary here?

1 Like

Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of a ZIP then. But you get my idea. :slightly_smiling_face: Anyway, I figure this would be easy to do, save some people a lot of hassle and make ZW easier to actually use until true hardware wallet support comes about.

1 Like

No worries! The reason I don’t think a ZIP is needed here is that ZecWallet is a separate piece of software from the Zcash protocol itself (although it contains zcashd, which is an implementation of that protocol). It doesn’t sound like a change to the protocol would be needed for the feature that you want, so therefore no need to make a ZIP. However, I am not a technical expert by any means, so when Aditya is online he’ll probably have a better answer :slight_smile: Maybe I’m wrong about whether a protocol change would be necessary.

(Aditya is the developer of ZecWallet, which is why I tagged him.)

You can use symbolic links and store the blockchain, wallet or any other file anywhere you want.

1 Like

Placing an alias in the HD Zcash folder called wallet.dat which links to the remote wallet file results in an error message from ZecWallet: "zcashd said: Error: " clicking OK then gives “Couldn’t start embedded zcashd. (etc.)”

zcashd don’t like aliases in the Zcash folder!

1 Like

Cool picture

Not sure of your OS but heres for Win10

2 Likes

Thank you @Autotunafish! :joy::pray::+1: Took me a while to make symbolic links work, but once I did it works sooooo much better now! As always, the ZEC team comes through! FR at work!

2 Likes