About dev fees and how to remove them

sure, we all test it out, give him info on what to fix and then we get thrown under a bus
all so that he can improve it and sell it privately? nice…

1 Like

I will take Claymore as Example. Dont have Optiminer´s Addresses. He uses 4 Fee Addresses with Zcash Miner:

t1N7NByjcXxJEDPeb1KBDT9Q8Wocb3urxnv
t1W9HL5Aep6WHsSqHiP9YrjTH2ZpfKR1d3t
t1b9PsiekL4RbMoGzyLMFkMevbz7QfwepgP
t1dn3KXy6mBi5TR1ifRwYse6JMgR2w7zUbr

The Amount is around 900 ZEC ~ 100 BTC ~ 70.000 $

Thats the income for 1 Month ^^ And only the zcash Project from him. Ok, i agree with Fees since Dualminer and thats no more Problem, but Optiminer totaly overprized his Fees. That have nothing to do with “support the devs work”.

The only winner in this cryptocoin game are the coders of miner Software, pool owners, Proxy defs; A fair def-fee should be 1 - 1,5 percent.

just my two Cents …

3 Likes

So just to clarify…

We have members of the community who are upset because a dev took the time to write and improve a mining application for Linux to the point where it performs equivalently to the best Windows based miner in most situations and expects to be paid?

In my testing with 480s, by the time you deduct CM’s 2.5% fee the output is the same and it works for the dev and for you at the same time, meaning it doesn’t disconnect from your pool to go work for the dev so your statistics look more sane.

Additionally, lets not forget that the “race” between devs is what has prompted them to constantly improve the performance. Look at the hash rates two weeks ago vs today.

If you don’t like it, don’t use it, how difficult is that people? Or as an alternative, you take the time to build the application that performs equally as well and then you charge no fee for it, I’m sure that will be terribly motivating for you.

3 Likes

Agree with this. I simply use it as it is the fastest software for Linux at present after deducting all fees and so I am more than happy to pay this to incentivise the developer (and so that I don’t have to switch to Windows!)

no it does not perform the same, its still underperforming even after the 2.5% claymore fee…
we liked it, we used it, we got shafted after doing all the testing

upset? well not really, wouldn’t have used it anyway

just saying he threw people under the bus… which he did

Optiminers address is: t1RsS2XVTjEeGST1RdKzPRSu5GTu45WsqcU

https://explorer.zcha.in/accounts/t1RsS2XVTjEeGST1RdKzPRSu5GTu45WsqcU

Its encoded in the original file via xoring two numbers together
45 C8 81 3E BB …
31 F9 D3 4D E8 …

2 Likes

Please don’t change the context of what I said…

For me, in my situation, they certainly do, your situation may be different. V6 for me is in the 190s and so is CM, so for me they do in fact perform equivalently.

I guess none of it matters at this point though.

how can i change the context of what you said? you said it, its what you said LOL

I just replied its not performing equally… if it does for you OK
but thats not all the cards and not all the people - so thats not equal
you are 1 person and if its the same for you and not the same for the other 99
you say “most” yet “most” people in his thread were reporting it was underperforming
maybe do another count… and try to say “most” after countring what people have actually reported

then it does not perform the same… easy, no need to argue it

well it wont matter past this point
at this point you can still use optiminer v6

i do however hope he changes his mind and decides to still support individual people
i like testing out his miners

though his windows was crashing and then not hashing as others reported, did it to me too
i didnt leave his linux miner on long enough to test for any GPU drops like his previous miners

Congratulations. Now instead of having 90% of something nice, we have 100% of nothing. Dev fees are the way to pay for people’s work.

You don’t like it, don’t use it. Cheap bastards.

4 Likes

Why people are so fucking greedy, now we have nothing … because they dont deserve to pay to people that give them chance to make money from mining. Claymore stopped because of these people, now Optiminer developer also.
People you need to understand that developers make miners to make money … Dev fees is the way we pay them for many nights of testing, writing, compiling and etc.

They deserve this money.

now we have nothing …

4 Likes

What do you mean by “nothing”? Surely he can’t stop older versions from mining, can he? If we can, there should be visible impact on the network hashrate, shouldn’t it?

yes he cant , but newer version are better optimized v6 is 20-30% faster… even dev fee it 10-15% better than current 0.5 i dont have 0.6 for unix
and there are not so much unix miners that are fast enough

1 Like

I am wondering why you see something different?

Are you testing both in Windows, because I am not. I am comparing CM in Windows to OM in Linux.

i only tested it on the Windows version as i had to switch from linux to windows due to optiminer dropping gpu and it didn’t perform better then claymore so i did not test it further for gpu drop etc
if it would have performed better i would have used it and paid the dev fee without any issue
Claymore was running without issues for days now so i didn’t bother further

i tested in both windows and linux

Well, it looks like Optiminer has been pulled, so that’s a bummer. But for those of you who downloaded it while it was available, you might be interested in how to redirect the dev fee. Here are the general steps that work for me, free of charge.

1. Figure out where Optimer is connecting.

$ netstat -atnp | grep optiminer tcp 0 0 10.10.100.50:46746 192.99.33.207:3333 ESTABLISHED 25171/./optiminer-z tcp 0 0 10.10.100.50:34218 188.165.195.21:3333 ESTABLISHED 25171/./optiminer-z

In this case, I’m connecting to us1-zcash.flypool.org, which resolves to:
    us1-zcash.flypool.org. 9 IN A 192.99.160.185 us1-zcash.flypool.org. 9 IN A 192.99.33.207

The other address belongs to eu1-zcash.flypool.org, which resolves to:
    eu1-zcash.flypool.org. 98 IN A 94.23.12.63 eu1-zcash.flypool.org. 98 IN A 188.165.195.21 eu1-zcash.flypool.org. 98 IN A 94.23.60.113

2. Sniff Optiminer traffic to find dev fee t address. Since I use Optiminer with us1-zcash.flypool.org, I assume that the dev fee is being sent to eu1-zcash.flypool.org.

$ sudo tcpdump -i eth0 host eu1-zcash.flypool.org -X

Look for traffic that says something like:
    method":"mining. submit","params" :["t1xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx.yyyyyyyyy

The t address is given in t1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. If you see your own t address, then you need to keep waiting until you see a different t address.

3. Configure a utility that lets you replace text in network packets. Download and compile GitHub - rgerganov/nfqsed: Modify network traffic with netfilter_queue. Run nfqsed with a pattern match rule as below, substituting the dev fee t address and your own t address.
    $ sudo nfqsed -s /<dev fee t address>/<your t address>

4. Redirect dev fee destination IP address (optional). Since I mine on us1-zcash.flypool.org, I want to send the dev fee packets there too.
    $ sudo iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 3333 -d eu1-zcash.flypool.org -j DNAT --to 192.99.33.207

5. Configure iptables to use nfqsed. Choose the destination based on your pool location.
    $ sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 3333 -d eu1-zcash.flypool.org -j NFQUEUE
    or
    $ sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 3333 -d us1-zcash.flypool.org -j NFQUEUE
    If in doubt, use both. No harm there.

6. Start (or restart) Optiminer. Switch back to the terminal running nfqsed, and you should see output like below. Packet received means that nfqsed is receiving forward packets. Rule match means that the pattern was found and changed.

packet received packet received rule match, changing payload: <dev fee t address HEX> -> <your t address HEX>

Here’s how this works out for me on my single RX 470. The redirected dev fee, top, appears to be roughly 10%.

10 Likes

I did not thought that there will be such a #$%^& to share it for free.
Although your solution is too complicated,
do you understand that you just killed development of any future miner for any currency which contains devfee?

No, he has not killed anything. He merely forced mining pool operators and miner devs to start encrypting their traffic. Nothing new under the sun.

Well I understand why he shared the method, better to share it for FREE to everybody rather than some hacker/cracker getting paid to steal someone else’s work.

But I think lately its getting pretty redicious with what is going on with all these miners and dev fees. Best would of been how it was before Claymore/Optiminer. Where we all had that crappy Genoil miner that crashed, but it used almost no electricity and we all would make the same amount as today.

1 Like

Pools will not care. Why should they?