How to Build an 8 GPU Mining Rig (works for AMD & Nvidia)

waiting for asrock 110 or biostar TB250 version 2… which ever arrives at my door first gets tested first :stuck_out_tongue: lol!

I meant like does it work on a regular mothboard like asus prime z270a with the extra m2slot and some extenders. I wish I could test it myself , at least the extra m2 slot for 8+1, but the m2 adapters I ordered on amazon are still stuck at ems (it hasnt been moving like 10days…).

im told it should work on tb250 (version1 with 6 slots) with extensions
I tried adding one 980ti to my 8 580s onm z270-p and it didnt seem to want to work though… maybe I will try again with the gp106’s

your ems must be stuck at customs

It’s about 15$ in Taiwan…
I hope the cheaper risers wouldn’t cause some problem.

I checked it on the ems website, it told me it was sent to china post - ems(hk) on jun8 (i guess they were trying to send the stuff through hong kong to the us but somehow it disappeared) It hasn’t hit the expected delivery amazon gave me so I guess I’ll just have to wait…

What about the MSI Z270 M3, already own it, will it work.

it should work, just check in the bios for 4G
i know m5 and m7 work, so i would think m3 will also

Hello Community,

I am a newbie and have recently acquired 8x NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti cards. My end goal is to build a rig with the cards and mine crypto.

So I have done a fair amount of research into what I need and from my understanding I have bought everything on that check-list. This is what I currently have:

8X GPU (Nvidia gtx 980 ti)
1x CPU & stock fan (intel pentium g4560 3.5ghz)
2x PSU (EVGA 1600w gold & all cables)
1x Motherboard (Asus Prime Z270-A)
2x RAM (2x4GB DDR4)
1x SSD (128GB seagate)
1x Windows 10 OS on usb stick
1x M.2. to PCIE converter (ebay)
8x Risers (version 006 from ebay with usb and molar connections)
1x Open air mountain bracket (ebay)

The first step I took was assembling all the parts with the exception of adding any of the GPU’s.

Windows 10 installed fine and updated. Along with the BIOS update for the motherboard from ASUS website.

When adding the first GPU I installed the driver from nvidia and it was working fine and even tested on miner worked okay.

When adding the 2nd it does work but only in certain slots and then adding 3rd or anymore than that either the rig will not turn on and display just black screen. The slots in which they work in do not seem to have any pattern and more so random.

I am also finding that windows comes up with all kinds of repairs when rebooting after adding more cards. Is this normal ?

Troubleshooting wise I have already tried enabling the 4g Decoding option which seems to make no difference to the amount of GPU it can detect.

Has anyone else had similar issues with the same hardware?

Do I need different types of Risers for the different sized gpu slots on the motherboard?

I have seen lots of people on-line achieving 8 NVIDIA GPU’s on this board so any help would be much appreciated thank you and regards,

Joey

It problem won’t, my build is z270-a. Windows do recognize all of my nine Nvidia cards, but Claymore won’t start. So I suggest max of 8 cards, unless you go Linux

Hi, i have some problems with the msi h270 gaming m3 for running 6 gpu, 4g enable but dont boot, black screen…

Hey Anderpitty,

I have successfully got 4 GPU working efficiently on the MSI H270 M3 Board, however im now under the impression that this is the boards limit. I have 5 plugged into the board and receive the triangle warning mark on the 5th in device manager when loading into windows. If anyone knows how to correct that error message that would be great.

I will need to check the BIOS version later tonight, if there is an update ill try the updated and flash the MOBO version to new one. Additionally in saying that i messaged MSI support and they said its not a 6gpu board. Not sure if standard reply from them or legit.

For reference after asking MSI support which boards would support 6 GPU’s they replied with this. (please keep in mind you should still do research on these because im finding that it may not be the whole truth)

"Ticket:
BIOS Configuration For GPU

Content:
You can choose the below MBs. Thanks!

Z270 GAMING M7
Z270 GAMING M5
Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON
Z270 KRAIT GAMING
Z270 SLI PLUS
Z270 SLI
Z270 GAMING PRO
Z270-A PRO:

If anyone needs the screen shot to confirm the MSI support response i can post it.

Regards Solaplex

Thanks for you reply,
I have successfully got 4 GPU working too, i have install a New bios, but I agree with you, that the limit is 4 gpu, if you have any news from msi support just let me know.

I’m having some difficulty with getting my rig up an running.

I have gotten all the components that you suggested Cryptomined (minus the case I built myself) and two EVGA 850 G2 (on sale) using XFX Rx 580s (8).

My issue: At most device manager only shows 5 of my cards (tried moving cards to different ports and changed out risers) I have changed from gen 1 and gen 2, 4g encoding enabled and disabled. Tried your driver patch as well but I have not been able to get more than 5 gpus to register.

Any ideas?

do you see any cards in other devices?
like does it say 3d video controller in other devices

I have 6 cards currently hooked up, 5 are recognized. Under other devices I have “Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus”, “PCI Simple Communications Controller”, and “Video Controller (VGA Compatible)”

If it helps, the cards that are not recognized light up properly but the fan spins nonstop (where as the recognized cards their fans stop upon loading into windows)

click on VGA compatible
then update driver,
select to find the driver yourself
find the AMD folder on your c-drive (windows installation drive if it is not c)
and then open the driver folder
then install that

if it installs it should work

1 Like

Thank you!! It works! Recognizing 6/6 cards that are hooked up.

So for the next two cards just do the same?

Also, do you know if it’s possible to run the xfx 580s with just an 8 pin adapter? (they have 8+6) My PSUs didn’t come with enough and I have taken 2 (6+2 & 6 pin) adapters from an 1200w that only needs 6+2 pins for my rx 480 rig. But I need more for my second 8gpu rig if I’m unable to run them with just a 6+2 pin.

Thank you again, you are a lifesaver, I’ve been beating my head against the wall for 3 days trying to figure this out!

you’re welcome, its strange ive had to do this twice in the last week, but never before. (had to do it with 2 of the p106 cards)

yes you can run the 580s with just 8 pin, atlleast it works on nitro 580 and devil 580 (I have both)

yeah just do it for any you see like that

Hi Cryptomined, have you tried on Asrock B250 Gaming K4 ?

no, but ill be trying H110 tomorrow :smiley: