Ledger Nano S Zcash support soon

Hi guys,

Good news, I just talked with a Ledger dev and they announced the Zcash support on Ledger Nano S and the Ledger Wallet Bitcoin Chrome application.

If you don’t know the Nano S, it is considered the most secure Bitcoin/Altcoins hardware wallet on the market. Hands down.

Main features
Cryptographic secrets protected by a secure chip
multi cryptocurrency support (Open Source apps)
Confirmation of transactions on the embedded screen
Built-in 4 digits PIN security lock
Built-in onboarding (seed generation and recovery)
BIP39 seed (12/18/24 words), easy backup and restoration
Multi-apps support: FIDO U2F, GPG, SSH…
USB connectivity
Foldable and compact casing
Compatible with Ledger Wallet Bitcoin Chrome application and Ledger Wallet Ethereum Chrome application

3 Likes

Any idea when the firmware update will be out ? Ive already got the device (it’s worth it IMHO)

Soon. It should be before the end of the month.

2 Likes

Looking forward to it.

I own one of these to securely store all my Ether and Bitcoin and it works flawlessly across all platforms. I was hoping they’d integrate ZCash and am happy it will be soon.

Sorry, I saw your post after publishing mine… Our official Chrome application, “Ledger Wallet Bitcoin” now supports Zcash and a few other popular alts, you just need to update to 1.6.10 (which should be automatic, just close/reopen the app).

The Zcash Nano S applet is mandatory and will be released on our app store (“Ledger Manager”) next friday! Make sure you are running the latest firmware version before installing the Zcash application on your Nano S.

Link: Zcash support is coming to Ledger Nano S this week!
Ledger Manager: Ledger Live : Most trusted & secure crypto wallet | Ledger (Zcash will appear in the app list friday morning)

2 Likes

I’m having a problem with doing just that…

When I go to the Chrome store this occurs on Ubuntu 16.04:

I’ve restarted Chrome several times and always get the same message.
So I’m stuck on 1.6.9 :frowning:

Any ideas for a solution?

Hi there,

We’re happy to announce that Ledger will support Zcash, starting Friday the 25th of November.
Users only need to install the Zcash application on their Nano S using our app manager, and run the official Ledger Wallet “Bitcoin” application (coin selection is done on the Nano S).

My first transactions!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @Morveus.

In terms of the 24 word seed if we have ETH and other tokens, will we need to recreate it or will the previous one work (for Zcash also) ?

1 Like

I’m so glad I bought a Ledger Nano S when they started supporting Ethereum. You guys rock!

2 Likes

@Morveus Does it already support z-addresses too?

1 Like

When I go to the Chrome store this occurs on Ubuntu 16.04:

I’ve restarted Chrome several times and always get the same message.
So I’m stuck on 1.6.9 :frowning:

Any ideas for a solution?

curious also if it will support z-addresses

1 Like

The 24 words recover everything that is recoverable on the device: BTC, LTC, DOGE, ETH, ETC, DASH, Zcash, FIDO :slight_smile:

@hloo @cryptomined no, unfortunately z-addresses are not supported and signature with z-address requires much more powerful hardware

1 Like

@cascadiacrypto I’ll check with the team. Our apps are always available on our Github repository - Releases · LedgerHQ/ledger-wallet-chrome · GitHub - , in case anything goes wrong with Google. Also, since Chrome apps will be abandoned soon, we’ll provide a multi-OS alternative in the coming months.

2 Likes

will there be a legder A(nonymous) in the future?

The devices only sign transactions, so technically if there was an anonymous solution (like Zcash with z-addresses) we could sign anything with the device.

The issue here is that (from what we gathered) signing an anonymous transaction with Zcash requires 50 seconds with a powerfull quad core CPU (30 seconds on an EC2 instance with 32 cores), and quite of lot of RAM… which not realistic with today’s secure hardware, running at a few dozen megahertz.

See: Zcash Integration Guide — Zcash Documentation 5.2.0 documentation “Private Transaction Performance”

ok i see, I think a different hardware wallet said they were going to have z-addr transactions included in their next release so I am curious if/how they will actually do it. (edit, I think i was wrong about this and was confused with t-addr support)

btw, i make a lot of ZCash tutorials on youtube, got over 1000 subs in about a month, almost at 1400 now in about 1 month and a week… in another month I should be over 2000 subs easy :slight_smile: and it should only get stronger with time. the channel is like a sub magnet…

anyway I could get a nano s to review for people and teach them to use it through my tutorials? people seem to really like my tutorials and walk-throughs.
(you can send me a private message if interested in helping me out :slight_smile:
I don’t make a penny off the videos so … :wink:

thanks

ok i see, a different hardware wallet said they were going to have z-addr transactions included in their next release so I am curious if/how they will actually do it.

I’m curious too!

About your potential Youtube review, please drop us an e-mail (hello@ledger.fr) with your shipping address, we like things to be official :wink:

yes will do thank you! :smiley:

and I think i might be wrong about anonymous z-addr support in any other wallets, i tried searching now and could not find the info, must have only been t-addr

Thanks!

Regarding z-addr support in hardware wallets and light clients, you’ll want to keep an eye on this issue:

1 Like