Ledger Nano S Zcash support soon

Thanks, I’ve transferred that to the firmware team

1 Like

This is fantastic news,I new I made right choice with nano s, look forwards to your review cryptomined love your work!

1 Like

Great to hear ZEC will be on the nano S -
My device arrived yesterday - very easy to setup and use!
Quick question - can I point my miners to the nano wallet address or do I still have to go via ZCash wallet? I’ve read some (ETH) wallets don’t accept direct mining transfers(?). Thanks and great product!

You can indeed point your miners to the ZEC address on your Nano S (the Zcash application is already available on the Ledger Manager). The device cannot filter or refuse any incoming transaction as transactions happen on the blockchain.

One thing though: depending on how much you earn per incoming transaction, mining directly to a hardware wallet address may not be a good thing, performance-wise.

For instance, if you’re mining Bitcoin and receiving payouts of 0.001 BTC, you will have to use 100 inputs to send a 1 BTC transaction. Each input takes 300ms to be processed by the device, which means more than 30 seconds of total processing time. It is really up to you, but we recommended that people who receive very small payouts (which may not be your case) to use a temporary software wallet and regroup their payments in a single output to their hardware wallet once in a while.

1 Like

Hi I have setup my nano s to use zcash,there was a firmware update for my device so I went through the process and after using 24 word seed wallet is working wonderfully,would recommend for safe storage of zcash.

You had me worrying for a moment with your original message, I’m relieved to see that you managed to solve the issue! :wink:

All coinbase tx need to be sent first to a z address before they can be spent. I don’t think the Lederger wallet supports tx to z addresses right now, so I would recommend not to mine directly to those addresses. But using the address with mining pools should be fine as usually the pools will take care to route the coinbase tx via a z address.

Thanks a lot for bringing Zcash to the Lederger wallet. From my point of view it is the best hardware wallet currently available.

Yes I had not followed update procedure correctly and after another attempt wallet was back to normal,hoped I had edited post before I scared anyone lol

Thanks Morveus
I’ve managed to update the firmware (slight user error initially!!); I’ve also sent a payment from my pool to the wallet - all works great!
It’s fantastic to finally have a robust wallet for ZEC that doesn’t need Linux.
Great product :smiley:

Stealth8368 - sounds like I did the same as you and panicked when I could get the firmware upgraded! I kept trying the green button not the greyed out firmware one! Easy in the end…

I didn’t think about the z-address requirement for coinbase txs, thanks for the warning!

Thanks a lot for bringing Zcash to the Lederger wallet. From my point of view it is the best hardware wallet currently available.

Thank you for the kind words :blush:

Hi Koru, yes when following ledgers instructions to update and restore wallet it worked no problem,the first time it seems I restored nano s to new so when I opened ether wallet it was empty no funds,I went through firmware update again and made sure I was restoring wallet for my previous settings and re installed apps,was a bit nervous as first time updating firmware and all my ether was in wallet,as long as you have 24 word recovery phrase written down your funds are safe,I am glad I played about with it as feel comfortable now knowing if something goes wrong I can always restore to any nano s and funds are safe.

I have uploaded my first 2 Ledger Wallet Tutorials :slight_smile:

One “unboxing and Initial Setup” video and one "OS & “Firmware Update” Video. I hope they help people get set up using ZCash on their Ledger Nano S. I Love my Nano S and highly recommend getting one if you do not already have one. Amazing little hardware wallet!

2 Likes

Great work cryptomined
For those that are having problems with nano s and zcash the process is simple, use ledger manager to install zcash wallet then close manager
Open bitcoin wallet then on nano s put your password in and select zcash from nano s this will load your zcash wallet
You are ready to use zcash, most nano s come with latest firmware so no need to update latest is 1.2
If you have a new nano s and setting up first time I would suggest watching cryptomined tutorial for full instructions

1 Like

I am already on the ledger nano S for ZCash and LOVE IT… I also use the same device for bitcoin, litecoin and etherum. I can’t say enough good stuff about it! Bought mine on amazon.com prime.

1 Like

yup pretty easy, thanks stealth :slight_smile:
I just got mine and it came with 1.1 firmware so I had to update, but thats good to know they are shipping with the new updated firmware. (at least from some locations I guess, hong kong location might not be yet)

It’s not a bad idea to update firmware before using wallet since procedure wipes nano s this way you get to test your seed works and you can restore without loosing any funds if written down wrong, you can load firmware 1.2 as many times as you like nano will update even if on correct firmware which is needed as if you restore to factory condition by mistake when updating you need a way to start over to restore your wallets from before,I know this as I made that mistake myself and was shocked to find my ether wallet empty lol fantastic device though when you get the hang of it,your videos help a lot

1 Like

yes I think its much easier and better to update right away when you get it, just more convienent and less risk

1 Like

I recently pointed one of my miners to my Ledger Nano S and after a few confirmed transactions I cannot send any transaction out of the wallet. I mine from Flypool and the transactions are from Coinbase. Would it be the amount being mined .001 payouts that are the problem?

you should email ledger and ask :slight_smile:
i have not tried mining directly to it yet, I was going to start however
though i was going ot use a larger payout of at least 0.1