More powerful card mining at a lower rate?

Hi there

Crypto n00b here :slight_smile:
I have a quick question that puzzles me.

I’m my PC, I have an R7 260x 2GB and an RX 460 4GB.

Using Claymore’s ZCash AMD GPU Miner, my weaker 260x is getting about 105 H/s, but the more powerful RX 460 is hashing at about 95 H/s

Now I believe the better card should be at least 30% more powerful, indeed when mining Ethereum it shows a hashrate that’s double. So can anyone have any thoughts about what’s going on with my Zcash?

• Cheers

Claymore tells you why this happens in his instructions to set up cards “For 4xx cards (Polaris) Crimson 16.12.2 is recommended.”

I don’t want to get into semantics, but saying something is ‘recommended’ is a long way away from telling someone that their hashrate might be affected by up to 50% :confused:

So, you think if I roll back to 16.12.2, all will be solved?
Really?
Modern drivers are THAT bad at mining for AMD?

In my 12+ months of experience, it’s not that I think, It is that I know.

and no it will not because rolling back will affect the other gpu, but you can try and see and prove it to yourself

I really hate messing about with drivers :frowning:

Still… I’ll give it a whirl.
Hopefully the Hashrate increase on the ‘good’ card will be larger than any Hashrate decrease on the ‘bad’ card.

Well, I tried what you suggested and it was a disaster.

Not only did the 16.12.2 drivers lose me about 50% of my total Hashrate, but when I tried to put things back to normal, something terrible happened with my PC and I kid you not, it took 4 hours to fix. from display drivers crashing to numerous BSODs

Now my PC is back to how it was and I’m still hashing at a lower rate than before.
Weird… I’m on the same drivers that I was on before messing around and I’m hashing about 20% slower :frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning:

The hash you’re getting is expected:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ZCash_mining_GPU_Comparison

The moral of the story… try to get more than one point of view before you go messing about with your hardware :smiley:

the reason for the bad performance you are getting now is a conflict of / stuck driver.

Run DDU in safe mode, uninstall the drivers, do a clean install of whatever driver you want to use