Purchasing GPUs from Alibaba

Hi Zcash community,

Does anyone have any experience purchasing GPUs from Alibaba? If so, is it recommended or something that I should stay away from and stick to computer stores.

I’ve noticed that the pricing of GPUs is cheaper via Alibaba but not everyone offers secure payment methods so you literally have to transfer money directly to their bank accounts and trust them to send you the GPUs. Sounds like a total scam to me as you’d have no chance getting your money back or getting the GPUs as the majority of sellers are located in China.

If the only way they can complete the deal is if you send them the funds via wire transfer, it is a scam! period, no if’s, no and’s, no but’s about it.

If the prices are too good to be true, they are

Thanks CitricAcid. That’s what I was thinking. I was hoping someone in the community had experience and could refer an Alibaba retailer they’ve successfully bought from.

I believe that is somewhere in the region of ManBearPig, Trust us we’re the government, and yes, I will respect you in the morning.
:wink:

2 Likes

I got into negotiation with a couple of Alibaba sellers and ultimately didn’t go ahead with the purchase. There were several things that didn’t sound or feel right about their communications - for example they replied to me from two different email addresses (e.g. one hotmail, one gmail). I also asked for photos of the items in packaging - and they provided some images which I reverse checked and found on Google for some other company.

Ultimately, it didn’t feel right and my gut feeling was to stay away… They may have been reputable, but if they aren’t, being in a different country you are pretty unlikely to ever see your money again.

Thanks for sharing your experience @zij. So far the communities experiences with Alibaba aren’t sounding positive.

For GPU only from trusted online or offline source

http://cryptomining-blog.com/8866-counterfeit-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-cards-out-in-the-wild/

2 Likes

@n0g1291 wow! I’m speechless. Thank you very much for sharing. You’ve definitely answered my question and confirmed my suspicions. Excellent community everyone.

1 Like

Hey hopefully you can learn a lesson from this, you need to trust your instincts more and rely less on hoping other people will tell you to go ahead and do something or not - you were right all along, you sensed something was a bit wrong about it all and it does sound dodgy only being able to pay with bank transfer. Trust yourself!

The old saying applies “if it seems to good to be true then it probably is”

at least you get free door locks…and not 1 but 2 :slight_smile:

Wow I’m so glad this was brought to my attention because I have been talking to sellers on alibaba and just haven’t felt comfortable enough to make the purchase! I wonder where in the heck amazon and eBay sellers get these cards from wholesale so they can retail them…it certainly can’t be alibaba…anyone have any ideas?

For few hundred dollars, those scrap metal better be rated for nuclear safety related.

1 Like

I sell GPUs and other IT stuff on Ebay and Amazon, and get them from the official distributors. But it is not easy to get some these days…

In europe distributors are pretty full of good GPU’s latly…

I can buy 16 1080 ti at 720$ right now from a official distributor (I have a partner discount).

yes you are right, i didnt have a look lately… gtx 1070 and 1080ti are back in stock in europe.

720 per card or for the whole lot??

I am starting an LLC and Looking to sell graphics cards as well as mine. I’m guessing I need to contact nvidia and AMD directly once I get my EIN locked in.

per card.

You can find 700-720$ for similar cards on newegg (if you are from the usa you can pay with bitcoin).

(ex: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Video Card GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11G OC - Newegg.com)

Hey John, thanks for the information. I’m just started out. I imagine if one could become an official distributer directly from NVIDIA or EVGA etc you can get better prices than on newegg. Newegg is retail. If I’m buying them for my company and especially retail selling them I should get a better deal than that I would assume. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Keith