Solver 0.1: unexpected banner "OpenCL build failed (-11). Build log follows:"

Solution: Use the correct Github repo: GitHub - mbevand/silentarmy: Zcash miner optimized for AMD & Nvidia GPUs

Hey guys, running 16.04 Ubuntu, installed AMD SDK and driver as advised in silentarmy installation instructions, successfully run the make command generating the silentarmy and sa-solver binaries, but then any time I try to run silentarmy (even just the default command without providing pool options) I get the following:

xxxx@xxxx:~/sa-nr$ ./silentarmy
Connecting to us1-zcash.flypool.org:3333
Solver 0.0: unexpected banner ā€œOpenCL build failed (-11). Build log follows:ā€
Solver 0.1: unexpected banner ā€œOpenCL build failed (-11). Build log follows:ā€
Stratum server sent us the first job
Mining on 1 device

And then it just hangs. I let it run for a couple of minutes to see if the CPU would do anything, but never seem to get any solves. This rig was running okay on Windows, just unstable, so I wanted to switch it over to linux. Itā€™s currently 2x RX 470ā€™s. Let me know if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas. Iā€™ve already re-installed from scratch once :frowning:

Edit:

It does pick up my devices:

xxx@xxx:~/sa-nr$ silentarmy --list
Devices on platform ā€œAMD Accelerated Parallel Processingā€:
ID 0: Ellesmere
ID 1: Ellesmere
ID 2: AMD FXā„¢-6300 Six-Core Processor

I ran into something like this, and it came down to not having the correct AMD OpenCL drivers. I noticed that running sa-solver gave more informative output than just running silentarmy. Can you run ./sa-solver and post the build log lines?

Also, post the output of ./sa-solver --list or ./silentarmy --list so we can make sure it actually recognizes your video card. If the video card doesnā€™t show up as device 0, then youā€™ll need to pass the correct device into the command with the --use= option.

Thanks for the quick reply! Hereā€™s that output:

xxx@xxx:~/sa-nr$ ./sa-solver
Solving default all-zero 140-byte header
Building program
OpenCL build failed (-11). Build log follows:
input.cl:537:5: error: use of undeclared identifier ā€˜pā€™
p += xi_offset;
^
input.cl:538:31: error: use of undeclared identifier ā€˜pā€™
for (i = 0; i < cnt; i++, p += 32)
^
input.cl:539:45: error: use of undeclared identifier ā€˜pā€™
first_words[i] = *(__global uchar *)p;
^
3 errors generated.

error: Clang front-end compilation failed!
Frontend phase failed compilation.
Error: Compiling CL to IR

Yep, those are good. Should have had those in OP:

xxx@xxx:~/sa-nr$ silentarmy --list
ID 0: Ellesmere
ID 1: Ellesmere
ID 2: AMD FXā„¢-6300 Six-Core Processor

Well, this is clearly a problem. The Clang compiler is reporting an error. Can you make sure youā€™ve grabbed the correct branch of the code?

1 Like

Itā€™s because you are running an unofficial, modified, broken fork of silentarmy (I noticed from your directory name: ā€œsa-nrā€).

Download the official version at: GitHub - mbevand/silentarmy: Zcash miner optimized for AMD & Nvidia GPUs

1 Like

Wow, that appears to be working. Idiot I am sometimesā€¦

That works without commands, gunna try running with pool options now.

Yup, that did it! Thanks man. BTW, any way to get this to mine at NiceHash? Just tried real quick and it gave me a connection error.

Thanks!

Nicehash isnā€™t currently supported. (Actually it works half the time because 1 of their 2 servers fix 5 bytes of the nonce and the other 17 bytes.)

Hmm, if itā€™s predictable couldnā€™t that be factored in? I just like the idea of NiceHash because it takes away the need to hold the ZEC at all, and renters pay a premium :stuck_out_tongue:

anyone can help meā€¦ i got the same errorā€¦ already do as tutorial on github for install driver but canā€™t get 2 GPU workā€¦

Now ./silentarmy --list not show 2 cards.
quangtuyen@quangtuyen-desktop:~/silentarmy$ lspci -v | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] (rev c7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] (rev c7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
quangtuyen@quangtuyen-desktop:~/silentarmy$ ./silentarmy --list
ID 0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3440 @ 3.30GHz