State of AMD GPU mining on Linux

i had many crashes and hangs with zogmine and i dont see any new version.
Is it working good ?

It’s hit or miss, not what I would call stable but it’s about the only option…

I’ve been running now for about 18 hours without a single issue on 1 card. Also last couple hours been running 4 cards and again no issues for me. You running the release from last night?

Keep us informed on stability. This sounds promising.

Are you talking about zogminer or zcashd? zogminer itself hasn’t had a meaningful checkin for a couple of days so I assume you are referring to zcashd

I am actually referring to Zogminer and yes you are likely correct about how substantial changes have been made in last couple days: GitHub - nginnever/zogminer: an OpenCL Zcash GPU miner

I just hadn’t tested in earnest until last night but still running smoothly for me (this is Flypool the H/s is still a bit low than what is reported)

Great! Got zogminer working with a AMD card on ubuntu 16. Thanks for the pointers.

ok so i will test it again and integrate in simplemining :slight_smile:

anyway i am back to ethereum mining.
Its no point mining zcash anymore.
Problems with pools+problems with miner + problems with hanging and crashing rig + low profitability more less the same as wthereum ? = its time to mine eth :slight_smile:

profitability is going down, but it’s still double than ethereum from what I get. But of course it’s more work because of mining software not at the top yet.

I built a new i5 AMD RX470 Ubuntu 16.04 rig this weekend in the hopes of following @garethtdavies lead and joining flypool using zogminer. However, I have not been able to build zogminer successfully on my machine. I have correctly installed and uninstalled the Radeon drivers twice. This is confirmed by my clinfo output:

~$ clinfo
Number of platforms 1
Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Version OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2117.10)
Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE
Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices
Platform Extensions function suffix AMD

Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices 2
Device Name Ellesmere
Device Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device Vendor ID 0x1002
Device Version OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2117.10)
Driver Version 2117.10 (VM)
Device OpenCL C Version OpenCL C 1.2
Device Type GPU
Device Profile FULL_PROFILE

HOWEVER, the Zogminer build process keeps exiting on a “/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lOpenCL” error. So I’m guessing that something about my setup makes it so that the Zogminer build doesn’t have the right dynamic links to my OpenGL library but I don’t know how to rectify that at this point. So still no Linux GPU mining for me :frowning:

You installed the AMDGPU-PRO drivers via here? http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver–Release-Notes.aspx

Yes, and fully uninstalled and done a clean re-install in case anything went amiss but unfortunately the same error on the Zogminer build.

As far as I can tell, I have OpenCL support as indicated by my clinfo output and the fact that my Ubuntu display is working correctly after the install. Something about my installation, however, has the Zogminer build mixed up about where to find my OpenCL library.

Just thinking it through now, I am using Ubuntu 16.04 are you on 16.10 by any chance?

No 16.04 as well so can confirm it works on that version.

I filed an issue so hopefully I’ll get a response. "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lOpenCL" build error on Ubuntu 16.04 · Issue #54 · nginnever/zogminer · GitHub

Really feeling left out of the Zcash party after a long day rig building :frowning: Have to log off for soccer game now. Thanks anyway for the detailed posts and reports.

ln -s /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1 /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so

Thanks for the example it helped me out a lot. just one question I am currently running 3 instances of zogminer for 3 different R9 390 GPU’s where each each instance has 2 threads (-S = 2). In each command terminal I am getting around 13 H/S which should give a total of 13*6threads = 78 H/s, however in zcash.flypool my hasrate is reported as 35-38 H/s even after many hours running. My question is, is flypool recognizing that I am running multiple threads or is there something else I need to add?

./src/zcash-miner -G -S=0 -stratum=“stratum+tcp://eu1-zcash.flypool.org:3333” -genproclimit=2 -user=t1address.instance1 -password=x

./src/zcash-miner -G -S=1 -stratum=“stratum+tcp://eu1-zcash.flypool.org:3333” -genproclimit=2 -user=t1address.instance2-password=x

./src/zcash-miner -G -S=2 -stratum=“stratum+tcp://eu1-zcash.flypool.org:3333” -genproclimit=2 -user=t1address.instance3 -password=x

thanks

I am experiencing similar. I am seeing circa 17 H/s out of a single thread and running 2 threads whereas Flypool is reporting 22/20/24/22 respectively. So it’s definitely seeing multiple threads and it may be how Flypool is reporting. I am going to test out running on a different pool as well as investigating thread count.

I’m suprised you are only getting 13H/s out of an R390 though. I’m just setting up a 390 rig to test but hitting a few niggles.

Edited to say that Claymore says waiting to release until can get 100H/s out of a single R390 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did this resolve your issue? I’m strangely having similar issues now on a second clean build running 16.04. I’ll probably end up cloning my hard drive that works but it’d be nice to understand what’s happening.

What version of AMDGPU-PRO are you using (run dpkg -l amdgpu-pro) my working build has 16.30 whereas latest is 16.40.

Also what Kernel version are you using (run uname -a) my working build is 4.4.0-45.

Are you able to control the fan speeds? This would set the fan speed of the first card but for some reason on my new build it’s throwing an error but works well otherwise (default speeds on these are very very low).

echo 200 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1