Zcash's current performance issues are frustrating

(Speaking for myself.)

Just to be clear, grants like this have absolutely zero effect on Zcash engineering or any mitigation of current performance issues. The sets of people involved are completely disjoint, and so are the pools of funds that pay for each effort.

I apologize for the length of time it is taking to mitigate performance and reliability problems. The issues are complex.

11 Likes

It’s all coming from the same fund (the dev fund), right? So I’m not even sure this statement is true if people like @earthrise are contributing to the ZEC ecosystem through community grants. As an example, ECC could potentially apply for a grant to bring on another engineer or two.

We know you are working hard and thanks for pushing through it.

ECC and ZF are forbade from ZCG funding.

From ZIP-1014: “1. These funds MUST only be used to issue Major Grants to external parties that are independent of ZF. They MUST NOT be used by ZF for its internal operations and direct expenses. Additionally, BP, ECC, and ZF are ineligible to receive Major Grants.”

3 Likes

TIL. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

can you give us a little more insight into the narrow issue that is being worked on?

some of us are just waiting for the cliffhanger…

1 Like

Currently we’re working in parallel on zcashd, the DAG-sync algorithm and implementation, the iOS mobile SDK, the Android mobile SDK, and fee changes.

• zcashd 5.3.0 will address more memory and performance issues with syncing and scanning;
  • there will be releases of the mobile SDKs (first iOS, then Android) that change APIs and are necessary to prepare for the DAG sync;
  • then, there will be mobile SDK releases that implement DAG sync, which will greatly improve latency before a wallet is usable again after it has fallen behind the current chain tip;
  • the fee changes in ZIP 317 are intended to make the sandblasting more expensive. Wallets can implement and deploy these as soon as the ZIP is finalized, which should be fairly soon. That also applies to zcashd’s internal wallet and the mobile SDKs. The enforcement of the higher fees by miners will follow later (we’re thinking of a probabilistic enforcement mechanism that will throttle the rate of both spam transactions, and transactions from not-upgraded wallets).
24 Likes

Thank you, @daira. I assume many appreciate the detailed feedback.

6 Likes

Cosign. Thank you, @daira

1 Like

This is really frustrating!

hello Daira,
and thank you very much for the update, there is a huge effort in place from ECC and the actions you are putting in place are very promising.

Sorry for the noob question, could you please just ELI5 what is DAG sync and how it works ?

One thing that I suggest it to make this information public as an ECC blog post and twitter thread, there currently is a lot of FUD on Zcash and everybody is asking what the team is doing to improve this. (maybe @januszgrze is the right person to address this?)

3 Likes
5 Likes

@hanh what OS are you running on that Pi?

Linux raspberrypi 5.15.61-v8+ #1579 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 26 11:16:44 BST 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

2 Likes

Appreciate the response.
I upgraded my wallet to v1.8.3
Zcashd is running & synced
Opened the wallet to error: No accounts. Please run ‘zcashd-wallet-tool’ to create your wallet first…
It is the same config & wallet.dat & you can see easily its being read with the DB folder & wallet.dat
Any suggestions until that is fix is appreciated
TYIA

1 Like

This has to do with the new account model features. Moving forward all addresses will be derived inside of named or numbered accounts and older addy generation methods considered legacy. In this case the suggested course of action would be to send your funds held in legacy addresses to your newly generated account UA address and essentially migrate away from your old wallet. You could also create a new account and then import the private keys of your old addresses alongside your new account.

zcashd-wallet-tool is not used for wallet creation; instead, what it does is ensures that you’ve backed up the wallet’s seed phrase, which is used for the derivation of all new keys in the wallet.

Prior to zcashd 4.7.0, the zcashd internal wallet did not use BIP 39 derivation from a mnemonic seed for backup; instead, it was necessary in most circumstances to back up the whole wallet.dat file. After 4.7.0, all wallets use a mnemonic phrase to generate the seed for key and address generation; in order to ensure that users have backed up this phrase, the wallet is disabled by default until the user uses zcashd-wallet-tool to confirm this backup. It is also possible, though not recommended, to run zcashd with -walletrequirebackup=false if you want to explicitly skip this check. See the “Emergency Recovery Phrases” section of Release v4.7.0 · zcash/zcash · GitHub for more detail.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply like everything it DID NOT WORK
I ran -exportdir & it created the file. Its in the folder

I stopped & restarted zcashd like it says
To get the same exact error

All I want is MY $$$ someone please fix this

Do I have to trigger a manual rescan?? It still does not detect the wallet.dat nor its backup?

UPDATE: I confirmed 100% the backup file seed created is my keys compared to a backup done in 2019 & my wallet.dat
I triggered a manual rescan & again its hitting my dat file every 3 - 4 min now
It takes about 30 hours… keep you posted
If this fails, I will try YWallet unless someone knows of a reason I should not.
Thx again to all trying to help.

**UPDATE 5 - 260+ hours & still scanning… will keep you posted

***NO USER IS GOING TO DO THIS FOR PRIVACY… it is NOT WORTH IT!!!

After 13 days of scanning & syncing the chain… I got the same error again…

This project is disorganized & in disarray. NO PROJECT LEADER should ever expect any user to go through this. THE BANKS ARE BETTER THAN ZCASH

You have created enemies from supporters of 4+ years. This project was made only to make China wealthier from selling more worthless miners & pathetic greedy capitalism so corp’s & power companies can have the cheapest electricity while the elderly, women & children suffer.

Thank you but unfortunately its another known bug that not all older addresses will import with balances correctly

I tried it with ZecWalletLite & Linux full node server. I have 2 Z secret keys that are not found on ANY OTHER METHOD OR WALLET

I ran the exportdir & zcash tool & it did exactly what it was supposed to except see my wallet.dat & open the UI

TYIA

Did you try out Ywallet? It runs in Windows pretty well.

TYVM I’ll be honest I am scared to trust it. It has only been downloaded 500+ times.
Dont get me wrong I am about to cave in & try.
I was so discouraged when the scan did not work in ZecWalletLite I just figured if it couldn’t find it, I doubt YWallet could?
Lite did find 2 of the 4 balances.
Any words of positivity would be appreciated
TY VM again all I do appreciate it

1 Like