Zcash's current performance issues are frustrating

Well, I haven’t been able to use ZecWallet full node 1.8.3 either.

But this is not THE full node wallet. The full node wallet is zcashd and it works, albeit slowly due to increased blockchain size.

1 Like

Moderation note: This message was moved from another topic.

Howdy,
It seems you are rather frustrated with your zcash experience but I’d like to better understand the system you are operating on to potentially help. What OS and resources are on the system you are working with?

1 Like

This is perfectly normal behavior for the average Zcash zodler.

2 Likes

Outside of the increased txn load, there still exists room to improve. Luckily folks have come to the right place to express their frustrations because there is only so many people on Earth atm that can even patch some of these stacks.

2 Likes

While the current network and performance issues are very frustrating, I urge everyone to remain calm and constructive. SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS, criticising developers, or using foul language isn’t going to have a positive impact on the situation.

A lot of people are working very hard to mitigate these issues.

These are all part of the growing pains of a new technology. Zcash will end up better, stronger, more robust and better performing as a result.

9 Likes

I want to make this clear

The failure of the wallets not being supported or maintained while MEDIA grants are being done is insane.

I have people in Russia who can not access their MONEY “THEIR MONEY” BECAUSE OF FAILED DEVELOPMENT

You sleep at night knowing this!!!

1 Like

Alright I got this full node running & synced AGAIN

I am pertrified to even breath on this due to how flakey it is

I attempted an import using: zcash-cli z_importkey

It shows its sapling & the address, but the balance is still 0
“address_type”: “sapling”,
“type”: “sapling”,
“address”: "

What am I missing? Did that RPC import those keys? Do I have to rescan? Is there another command I should use?

Any help is appreciated because once I get my assets back, I am out of this project.

TYIA

If you imported your keys in Ywallet, you’d be done in less than 1h. No need to sync a full node.

I confirmed the keys are imported by the getaddresses command.

Balance is still 0

I imported 1 of the other keys I was able to use in Zec Lite & it is scanning like crazy in the full node?

Why did it scan on this 1 key but not the other 2??

How do I trigger a rescan for the other 2 keys??

Also, where is the “official” YWallet you are speaking of?

TY again in advance

While importing the 3rd key which worked on Zec Lite i receive this message
error: couldn’t connect to server: timeout reached (code 0)
(make sure server is running and you are connecting to the correct RPC port)

Hard drive is still thrashing…

Everything was running just fine. Did this command crash the node? Did it just screw up the 3 days I’ve been syncing this?

NO ONE IN THE PUBLIC WILL DO THIS. You are creating enemies from supporters of 4+ years.

Tutorial here

It works with secret keys too.

5 Likes

I confirmed they are sapling
TY

(Speaking for myself.)

Just to be clear, grants like this have absolutely zero effect on Zcash engineering or any mitigation of current performance issues. The sets of people involved are completely disjoint, and so are the pools of funds that pay for each effort.

I apologize for the length of time it is taking to mitigate performance and reliability problems. The issues are complex.

11 Likes

It’s all coming from the same fund (the dev fund), right? So I’m not even sure this statement is true if people like @earthrise are contributing to the ZEC ecosystem through community grants. As an example, ECC could potentially apply for a grant to bring on another engineer or two.

We know you are working hard and thanks for pushing through it.

ECC and ZF are forbade from ZCG funding.

From ZIP-1014: “1. These funds MUST only be used to issue Major Grants to external parties that are independent of ZF. They MUST NOT be used by ZF for its internal operations and direct expenses. Additionally, BP, ECC, and ZF are ineligible to receive Major Grants.”

3 Likes

TIL. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

can you give us a little more insight into the narrow issue that is being worked on?

some of us are just waiting for the cliffhanger…

1 Like

Currently we’re working in parallel on zcashd, the DAG-sync algorithm and implementation, the iOS mobile SDK, the Android mobile SDK, and fee changes.

• zcashd 5.3.0 will address more memory and performance issues with syncing and scanning;
  • there will be releases of the mobile SDKs (first iOS, then Android) that change APIs and are necessary to prepare for the DAG sync;
  • then, there will be mobile SDK releases that implement DAG sync, which will greatly improve latency before a wallet is usable again after it has fallen behind the current chain tip;
  • the fee changes in ZIP 317 are intended to make the sandblasting more expensive. Wallets can implement and deploy these as soon as the ZIP is finalized, which should be fairly soon. That also applies to zcashd’s internal wallet and the mobile SDKs. The enforcement of the higher fees by miners will follow later (we’re thinking of a probabilistic enforcement mechanism that will throttle the rate of both spam transactions, and transactions from not-upgraded wallets).
24 Likes

Thank you, @daira. I assume many appreciate the detailed feedback.

6 Likes

Cosign. Thank you, @daira

1 Like