Z9 performance and general discussion

Just informed by UPS that I owe 271$ in import fees on a single Z9 mini (no psu) shipped to the US bringing the total cost of my ‘850’ Batch 2 unit to almost $1200. How absurd. It will be fun to play with, but this is my last expenditure in support of Zcash.

*Note: I was also required to provide my SSN via telephone to UPS in order to clear customs.

Yes…the better option is to leave that HW where it is made :wink:
No shipping cost no duty.

I guess I was wrong. Some claimed it was locked, some claimed theirs arrived unlocked. Mine shipped from Origin of Hong Kong today. Interesting since that’s not “China” for the tax purposes right?

I’m afraid it is wrong. It will be like China, no less and no more. Hope I’m wrong.

Officially, HKG is China.

Yes, and China must be declared as country of origin in the official CI. A lot of stuff take off from HK SEG with PRC as origin. It would be too easy :wink:

at what temp are your ASIC chips running max?

No one knows if the full sized Z9’s can be overclocked yet correct? I ordered 9 out of batch one waiting for them to be shipped and was praying they had the ability to be overclocked…

I will go out on a limb and speculate that even if they do not provide you the ability directly on the web page, that a clever person will still be able to set the frequency. I doubt they removed it from the firmware

I’d also speculate that the Z9 big has fewer hash chips running at higher frequency compare to the Mini. They had to lock down the mini in some way to keep people from just buying boat loads of minis and overclocking.

That was my original plan was to buy 30+ and overclock them… But then i looked at it from a heat/noise standpoint and just decided to go with a few big Z9s and pray they could be overclocked… Just starting to wonder how long its gonna be before profits start taking a hit due to difficulty rising…

I keep my room AC set at 78F, the Mini chips with the fan on Auto at 731MHz are 67 - 68C. This is 15.68kSol/s at 370 watts or so

1 Like

the hottest chip is at 83C @650MHz, don’t know if I should keep it like that.
The decision to buy the power supply was just bad, that freaking thing is loud AF.

Can you look inside your mini and see how many heat sinks there are per board? should be 4

Sorry for the delay. Here’s the screenshot of the“advanced settings" menu. Default frequency is 500M.

It seems there are different firmware in this batch. By the way, this is the cgminer.conf of a batch1 running at 700m:

{
“pools” : [
{
“url” : “stratum+tcp://eu1-zcash.flypool.org:3333”,
“user” : “",
“pass” : “x”
},
{
“url” : “stratum+tcp://eu.luckpool.net:3060”,
“user” : “**********************************************”,
},
{
“url” : “stratum+tcp://komodominingpool.com:5555”,
“user” : "
***”,
}
]
“api-listen” : true,
“api-network” : true,
“api-groups” : “A:stats:pools:devs:summary:version”,
“api-allow” : “A:0/0,W:*”,
“bitmain-use-vil” : true,
“bitmain-freq” : “700”
}

I will try this way tomorrow if I will get the unlucky firmware.

Thanks! Does the list go all the way up to 750, like on batch 1? Btw, there are some people on the discord I follow who say that they can’t get stable operation with OC at 750. I’ll get mine tomorrow (hopefully), will post results.

Yep, Max. Freq. is 750M. Although the miner being unstable when overclocked doesn’t surprise me.

Well, the unability to run stable at 750 is a surprise to many. Batch 1 runs flawlessly on 750 for everybody as far as I know. There is clearly something “different” about the batch 2 units.

Firmware is different. Batch 1 and the still overclocking ones from batch 2 have

Sat May 26 20:42:30 CST 2018 firmware.

Anybody tried just using the old firmware if it works?

Please remember in cases like these to direct your displeasure where it really belongs. I’m by no means a fan of Bitmain, but “this” is the fault of US Customs and our governmental leadership. I can understand imposing Tariffs to level the playing field for US made products, but there isn’t one in this case so it’s strictly a power play by our government against China. The only problem is Bitmain doesn’t feel the pain, it’s the customers getting 'bent over" in this case. Complain to your Senators folks. This is NOT how a Tariff is meant to be used.

2 Likes