Zcash official twitter account

The other day on Twitter I stumbled across this post and I think it really hits the nail on the head and has highlighted room for improvement.

Imo the official zcash Twitter handle should be a first stop resource for community information, marketing and promotional material, community engagement and amplifying the good ideas of community members, many of whom have sub 1k followers. Zcash is a tremendous technology, but the conveyance of that message is poor, half the battle for project success is capturing attention and I don’t think that particular tool is being utilised enough.

The importance of having a lot of followers to the official account is huge because then people can keep updated with the project while they are scrolling social media.

For comparison purposes:

@ zcash - followers 11k - following 4 - tweets 861 - year joined 2017
@ monero - followers 483k - following 14 - tweets 5687 - year joined 2014
@ litecoin - followers 966k - following 26 - tweets 2559 - year joined 2011
@ minaprotocol - followers 201k - following 23 - tweets 2069 - year joined 2018
@ horizenglobal - followers 142k - following 876 - tweets 9928 - year joined 2017
@ dashpay - followers 420k - following 445 - tweets 8779 - year joined 2014

So in summary I would like to see the zcash Twitter handle become a lot more active in trying to recruit followers through engagement and with amount of content it puts out/retweets, also I don’t know if it qualifies for the gold tick but at least blue would be good.

Just no WAGMI tweets :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Interesting statistic and ideas :zebra:

4 Likes

Good idea IMO.

3 Likes

Hi, @zkcroc ! I share this point of view with you. I just want to supplement this statistic a little. Formally, the official account joined be something around the beginning of 2020. Maybe January or February, I don’t remember exactly. It seems @joshs wrote that we now have the official Zcash twitter-account and everything started spinning. Until that time, it belonged to an individual unrelated to the coin. Josh will correct me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes

That’s correct.

2 Likes

Why is @user89273476 only following 4 other twitter accounts? It feels like the owner should be engaging with the vast community of Zcashers, Privacy activists, merchants, and privacy-adjacent crypto projects and influencers. This is very low hanging fruit that needs to be picked. Thanks to Banyths for starting this discussion.

4 Likes

I manage a lot of ECC social properties. Re Zcash.

I’m happy to collaborate with people around the zcash twitter account. I’ve offered to do calls w/ community members before, for planning, but no one has taken me up on it.

Planning, account voice, post frequencies are all things I’d love to run by the community this year.

If you want to help with planning, lmk!

9 Likes

I’ll comment on metrics soon! Want to look at other data first.

2 Likes

Sounds great I’d be happy to share my ideas and opinions.

I don’t think any planning or bureaucracy is needed with regard to simply following a larger cohort of privacy, zcash, crypto, merchant accounts. There can’t be any compelling reason not to do that immediately.

As to the topic of comment style, voice, frequency …I suppose it’s not unreasonable to spin up a small group to form a shared perception of how @user89273476 should interact with the world of Twitter.

4 Likes

For all Zcash news, updates, memes, education, combatting fud, community engagement and other fun stuff follow: @zcash_community

If you want to help run the account, send a DM

5 Likes

Thanks for all the comments relating to this, its good to know a little back story to the handle etc.

I understand running social media is pretty time consuming, is there capacity right now to step this up a gear, or does it need to be handed off to a devoted marketing person within ECC or the zcash foundation?

3 Likes

So WRT data, I’m going to share some stats, challenges, some of my previous strategic focus, and some opinions. The opinions are mine, but did have influence on some strategy here.

Stats

So overall, there was a lot of channel growth with Zcash. This is largely because it was untouched until this year. Here are the main growth numbers:

Total net audience growth: +216.4%
Impressions: +1,267.6%
Engagements: +1,240.8%
Clicks: +670.3%

How it compared to competitors:

Compared to competitors, we saw a higher % of growth, but they had a higher numbers across other metrics, likely due to the fact that they have a bigger follower/reach number. When you look at individual posts, the top 20 individual posts were mostly competitors, but, when you look at the overall picture, Zcash content (individually) seems to compare well against theirs.

Challenges

A big challenge we have had with Zcash is determining what content best lives there. To solve that, we’ve decided to include a context mix that includes:

-Community spotlights
-Twitter Spaces highlighting community projects
-Amplifying community project announcements, posting if necessary
-Evergreen content (i.e. Privacy is Normal)
-Cross-community marketing initiatives: i.e. We should include the Zcash channel as a host on twitter spaces that other programs host.
-Community updates
-Educational content (blogs, live streams, etc)

To make this happen, I’d need some support with community members and I’ve started to reach out to some community members to make this happen.

Strategic Approach

When we did the Privacy is Normal campaign, we specifically used personal accounts because the data shows that those accounts perform better than branded accounts. For example, when Argent (a large ethereum brand with 240k followers) posted “Privacy is Normal”, their post did not perform as well as Josh’s (4k followers) or Zooko’s (80k followers). We have seen consistent data around this to justify the strategy.

Sidebar: The reason Privacy is Normal took off is because Vitalik amplified Josh two months prior and Argent (who know Vitalik, not us) kept the poster in their back pocket. I don’t think Argent gets that poster if ECC tweeted it out, and not Josh.

But, all of this comes with a tradeoff. While Zcash as an ecosystem gets broader reach, it does effect audience retention to branded accounts. That’s why we decided against continuing with this strategy for 2023. We tested this for 2-3 months.

Opinions

I think the best path forward is amplifying our branded accounts, and having consistent content mixes that they can rely on. Standardizing content is the easiest way to retain engagement, while planning more specific content that can be a part of campaigns can lead to growth.

I think the reason the account follows four people is because some protocol brands do that. For example, Ethereum follows 0. Other brands follow accounts. Solana follows 1500. I’d be open to changing this pending community support for the latter option.

I think follower count isn’t the most valuable metric to keep as your north star. Engagement and impressions for me are the sweet spot. Follower counts can be gamed really easy and have less impact as the account gets bigger. But, it is a good metric that legitimizes the account, so agree growth here is super important up until 50, 75 or 100k followers.

11 Likes

Thanks for going so in depth on this

4 Likes

You could announce Zingo on the @user89273476 twitter.

Here’s a link you could tweet out:

4 Likes

The ZF A/V Club will host this call! Let’s schedule it ASAP.

*I think the reason the account follows four people is because some protocol brands do that. For example, Ethereum follows 0. Other brands follow accounts. Solana follows 1500. I’d be open to changing this pending community support for the latter option.

Was there a previous community decision that determined following a maximally small amount of Twitter accounts was the preference? I’m stumped about any strawman being made here to support the don’t follow approach. Ethereum (because of what it is in 2023, globally known, sector dominant, sector narrative driving) can afford to zero-follow for many obvious reasons, all of which are exclusive to what Zcash is in 2023 (generally unknown, not dominant of its sector narrative).

ECC started managing the account before I started working there. Up until this point, I’ve not seen anyone mention this being an issue.

And, I’m not supporting either approach. I just said why I think it is that way.

1 Like

Let’s do it.

2 Likes

Of course, I know it didn’t mitigate all concerns, but I thought the context would be helpful. Thank you for starting this conversation.

1 Like

The middle of this month is best for me. Feb 15, 16, 17.
@decentralistdan will want to be involved. Who else? Should we move the calendar talk to Discord ZFAV #events channel?