Nominating @brunchtime for ZOMG (December 2021)

I would like to nominate @BrunchTime, the guy behind zecpages, that’s probably enough info right there.

As an independent developer who’s built a really excellent project that’s enhanced the zcash ecosystem, he could recognize and attract other strong contributors. Also https://twitter.com/michaelharms70 on twitter

20 Likes

Hey. Honored to be nominated - I will gladly accept, and if elected do my darnedest to make ZEC and ZOMG grow and shape the world for the better.

About me - I’m a web developer. I’m a ZOMG grant recipient (two times) I built ZECpages and have a ton of fun seeing people post there, finding out what new features they want, sometimes building those features. I have a normie senior dev job where I p much just crush it for 7 hrs a day. I do 300 pushups a day. I play piano; I’m really into William Byrd rn.

On ZEC: I think ZEC needs to be used to be fully appreciated. ZECpages, and zecmailer previously, were both built to make it easy for people to test out and get a feel for something I think is vastly interesting: open, anonymous, and decentralized, programmable money and data. I imagine ZECpages as a crystalline vending machine floating in space. Anyone the world over can throw in a dime and etch their thoughts into a durable public record. It’s fun, and it’s been the source of countless hours of inspiration and amusement. With light wallet syncs making big strides recently, lighter-weight ZEC Blockchain-MVC apps have more potential than ever.

On ZOMG: I think ZOMG should strive to be independent from ZF very soon. It’s generally presented as a third entity, and I think it’d be better all-around if it actually was.

I can’t tell you I’m that much wiser than the next guy on project selection, and honestly ZOMG grants have been pretty slim pickings as yet. In general I think the last ZOMG committee made decent calls on what to fund.

I can tell you that if I’m on ZOMG, I’ll be excited about funding anything that’s small and novel. I’ll be super open and accessible to the community (as I already am) and will always try to help people get involved and building on ZEC. Maybe it’ll happen. Maybe it’ll even be cool! We will find out.

28 Likes

Can we consider this your official running thread @BrunchTime ? Or would you rather create a new one with your candidacy?

1 Like

Imo this is fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

love it !!

3 Likes

Hey BrunchTime,

I am glad you are running. You have been around for ages :slight_smile:

Because of that i dont have a ton of questions except about the 3rd entity stuff. It was pretty much decided that the community didnt want that back when 1014 came about so I think it is very unlikely to gain further support now.

Is this going to be a problem? the ZFND have/are? hiring a coordinator to help with the admin stuff. Do you think you will be able to help with setting and checking grantees milestones, project pacing, deliverables v what is delivered, etc? To me this and your understanding of zcash is where you can add the most value. (speaking as a mg recipient and cap member)

Last question, can you please elaborate on how much time you can afford to give the mgrc and what sort of compensation you would require.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks very much for the questions!

Because of that i dont have a ton of questions except about the 3rd entity stuff. It was pretty much decided that the community didnt want that back when 1014 came about so I think it is very unlikely to gain further support now.

I’m not really counting on the structure to change. Maybe that point isn’t super relevant to ZOMG duties, but it’s a opinion I have on ZEC governance, it’s something I’d like to see us progress toward (or at least talk about) and I’m just trying to let you all know what I’m about.

Do you think you will be able to help with setting and checking grantees milestones, project pacing, deliverables v what is delivered, etc?

Def. I think it’s exciting and important work and I’d love to fill that role.

Last question, can you please elaborate on how much time you can afford to give the mgrc and what sort of compensation you would require.

Time-wise, I would gladly commit to Chris’s (@cburniske) estimate of 20 hours a month. Compensation-wise (and I’ve said this before) I think ZOMG should be well compensated for their important work. I don’t think $500/mo is going to motivate anyone to make ZOMG work a priority. It looks like a hugely stressful job, working in public, in crypto, taking the slings and arrows of the unfunded and the ZEC haters. (I’ve even thrown a few!) I’ve really admired and aspire to show the same patience, understanding, and poise the first ZOMG committee members had in their public replies. But that’s a tough job.

I’d imagine Chris’s hypothetical $2k/month is still awkwardly low given the importance of the work and the amounts of money involved in grants. But because I believe in the mission, and because being part of ZOMG would be a unique, wild, inspiring adventure, right now I’d say I’d still do it for $2k/month.

11 Likes

Hey I have these questions for all ZOMG candidate:

How important is ZEC price appreciation for you ?
To the Zcash investors that buy and hold ZEC and who make the devfund possible, what can you tell them that you will do to make their investment turning into fruition ?

1 Like

These are great questions! Thanks for asking.

How important is ZEC price appreciation for you ?

Super important. ZEC is safer money if users have an incentive to buy it, shield it, and hold it for a while (as privacy comes from funds at rest). I also want ECC/ZF/ZOMG/Grantee’s incentives to be aligned with holders, and that happens through token value.

That’s also why I’d prefer grants, ZOMG compensation, even ZF/ECC salaries, to be priced in the ZEC token rather than USD (Fact-check me on this - some salaries might be. Idk.). This an opinion and conversation starter, not a hill to die on. I understand there might be regulatory challenges involved that I def can’t evaluate.

BUT it makes sense to me that lower token price = more tokens for recipients whose compensation, while paid in ZEC, is priced in USD. The incentives here seem backwards.

To the Zcash investors that buy and hold ZEC and who make the devfund possible, what can you tell them that you will do to make their investment turning into fruition?

Fund projects that create new use cases. ZECpages has surprised me with how important it’s become to the community, it has a ton of uniqueness because of how it leverages ZEC properties (open -AND- anonymous). And I like to think it’s demonstrated ZEC integration in a way that inspires other developers.

I think there are scads of cool applications that could benefit from ZEC. Gaming (I thought this was a cool idea, even if the choice of game was a bit niche), social media, news, crowdfunding, Oauth-style authentication (i.e. “log in with ZEC”) are all top-of-mind as uses I’d be interested in seeing ZEC’s utility applied to. I think all those would add real value and utility to ZEC, create opportunities for accessible hype that onboards new users, and inspire new developers to innovate around profitable, open, private, permissionless apps.

14 Likes

zcash powered password manager?? :eyes: :eyes:

5 Likes

A cold chain Zcash app to authorise decrypting a password manager would be cool. A webauthn adapter and Zcash OAuth2 strategy (i.e. QR code signature) would be awesome too. :eyes:

1 Like

Good luck @BrunchTime !!

3 Likes